On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On 3/13/2018 12:19 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>
> Since this thread is reaching 100 posts where it is hard to keep track of
> and this topic is low on my interest list I will simply leave the
> following. Somebody pondered that a UFO/ET site called GaiaPC is just
> wishful thinking. I responded with:
>
> It has a component of magical thinking. Christianity has Jesus turning
> water into wine, and a fairy tale has a fairy godmother turning mice into
> horses and a pumpkin into a royal coach. Same idea really. Christianity has
> Jesus returning in the future, and for 19 centuries this has been "soon,"
> and He will sweep all the problems away. This UFO stuff claims these ETs
> have ultimate technology, magic really, that will transform our world. In
> both cases the forces of darkness are preventing this great day of
> revelation. Similar idea, though with alien spacecraft I suppose there is
> some very tiny probability that aliens or their robotic emissaries could
> actually travel here. Religion by way of contrast is pure magic.
>
> The mythic narratives of our time are shifting away from the monotheist
> constructs that have held sway for 15-16 centuries or so. This is
> manifesting itself in a number of forms from superheros to Pokeman-esque
> ideas to UFO/ET/ancient astronauts quasi-archaeology/astronomy and other
> ideas. It is almost as if we are adopting a sort of neo-Orphic set of
> mythic narratives.
>

> I don't see this anything different.  The big religions also always had
> angels and demons and saints and demi-urges.  It was only in the official
> theology there was any attempt at unity and consistency...and even there
> you had "The Trinity".
>
> Brent

*Other than the religious component, is the unity of "The Trinity"
substantively worse than the unity of "wave-particle"? But this is beside
the point. As someone who spent a career working in aerospace for the
military, can't you see a national security component to the UFO
phenomenon, since a small but non-trivial number of sightings consist of
flying vehicles that enter our airspace without permission, and their
agendas are apparently unknown? AG *