On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> *According to quantum mechanics, whichever measurement is performed first
> collapses the entangled twin state superposition to a single polarization
> state that is identical for both photons.*
>
> *[...]*
>

> *If we wish to know what the probability is of getting the same
> measurement for photon 1, we need only figure out what the probability is
> for a photon with polarization along θ2 to pass through a filter oriented
> along θ1. This probability is easily calculated according to simple
> trigonometry. Any arbitrary linear polarization can be thought of as a
> superposition of polarization along the θ1 direction (which will pass
> through the filter) and perpendicular to the θ1 direction (which will be
> absorbed by the filter). For a wave polarized along the θ2 direction, the
> amplitude component along the θ1 direction is given by cos(θ2 − θ1), and
> the probability for transmission, given by the wave amplitude squared, is
> cos2 (θ2 − θ1). That is the prediction of quantum mechanics *
>
> *[...]*
>

> *The key is to allow more than one possibility for the potential result of
> a measurement. Orthodox quantum mechanics embraces this notion of multiple
> possibilities whenever a quantum state is in a superposition. In the
> absence of measurement (and collapse), there is no single definite
> potential result. Instead, there are many potential results represented by
> many components of the superposition. *
>
> *[...]*
>

> * It is possible to violate Bell’s inequality using either nonlocality or
> counterfactual indefiniteness alone, and there are examples of each
> approach. To better understand the role of counterfactual indefiniteness,
> it is instructive to examine an interpretation of quantum mechanics that
> relies solely on counterfactual indefiniteness to violate the inequality.
> One of the most popular of these is the “many worlds” interpretation. *
>

> I find Baylock's exposition of counterfactual indefiniteness as applied in
> MWI quite opaque. He makes the argument needlessly complicated by
> considering a sequence of experiments with non-aligned filters. Then
> analyses these by comparing to an arbitrary 0º and 90º pair of
> orientations. When he does his general analysis he gets four possible
> worlds as he should, but he does not calculate the probabilities for these
> individually. Rather, he relates the results back to the 0º and 90º
> orientations. And then says that because no measurements were actually made
> at these angles the lack of counterfactual definiteness rules out the
> worlds in which the results do not agree with the quantum predictions. This
> is quite confused. There is no need to consider sequences of measurements
> at different angles, one need con sider only one set of such measurments
> and calculate the resulting probabilities for each of the four possib le
> sets of results. By doing something quite peculiar, Baylock does nothing

What specifically, is the error?

> We should concentrate on the simple case that I have presented, where the
> polarizers are aligned by construction, and no reference is made to
> measurements that are not made, but are assumed to have definite outcomes
> (no violation of counterfactual defininteness need be assumed). You have to
> be able to give a local account of why certain combinations of results are
> not observed. You have been unable to do this.

You agreed both photons are entangled to each other.

When you measure either of the photons, you too become entangled not only
with that photon, but also with its pair.

If someone measures it's partner photon, now you, the left photon, the
right photon, and that other person are now all entangled with each other.

(entanglement is nothing mysterious, it is equivalent to measurement).

When nothing collapses, all you get are local effects, of information (in
the form of particles or fields) moving through space time at light or
sublight speeds.

You never observe the person who got the inconsistent measurement, nor ever
hear their radio signal because you are entangled with the person who got
the result consistent with your measurement.

> [...]
> do not actually help in MWI, as is seen in the simplest examples which do
> not rely on counterfactual definiteness.
>

> You have confused your account by introducing branches for each possible
>> measurement angle, but this is never the case -- there are no such branches
>> in Everettian quantum mechanics. There are only ever two branches
>> corresponding to the two possible outcomes for your polarization
>> measurement.
>>

> I agree there are only two possible outcomes of the measurement (absorbed
> or transmitted) but how does this related to your statement that the
> polarization might be along any possible angle?  Does the math prevent us
> from viewing this as a superposition of the every possible polarization
> angle?
>

> Yes, quite definitely the rotational invariance of the singlet state
> cannot be seen as a superpositionof all possible polarization angles. See
> the simple expansions of the singlet state that I gave in a previous post.
> QM does not countenance such superpositions.
>

> So given two independent experimenters making independent polarization
>> measurements, there are only ever 4 possible branches -- the '++', '+-',
>> '-+', and '--' branches. If the measurements are made on the same singlet
>> state, the '++' and '--' branches cannot exist. You have not explained why
>> these are possibilities are ruled out. By assuming that they are, you have
>> introduced an unrecognized non-locality into your account
>>

> They are ruled out for the same reason that we get consistent
> measurements.  When we measure the same property twice in a row we always
> observe the same outcome.  Measuring my Pluto photon, and measuring your
> radio signal is an example of this measurement consistency.  Asking why
> "++" and "--" are ruled out is, in my view, equivalent to asking why we
> observe either "spin down" and "spin down" or "spin up" and "spin up"
> when we measure the spin of the same electron twice in a row, and never
> measure "spin down" and "spin up" or "spin up" and "spin down" when
> measuring the same electron's spin twice in a row.
>

> You are appealing to a "common cause effect", "Bertlmann's socks". That
> local hidden variable is not available, even in MWI.
>
> I refer you to the quote from Maudlin's book that I gave in an earlier
> post:
>
> "And if some sense can be made of the existence of correlations [in MWI],
> we have to understand how, In particular, if appeal is made to the wave
> function to explicate the sense in which, say, the 'passed' outcome on the
> right is paired with the 'absorbed' outcome on the left to form a single
> 'world', then we have to recognize that this is not a *local* account of
> the correclations since the wave function is not a local object."(3rd
> edition, p. 252)
>
> I think this is the mistake that you (and Baylock and many others) fall
> into. You do not recognize that the wave function of the singlet state is

If I send a photon through a filter orientated at 0 degrees, and it passes
through, and goes all the way to Pluto where you measure the filter at 0
degrees and it also passes, you would not say this violates locality, would
you?

It is the same picture.  You might as rightly ask why are future
measurements correlated (entangled) with past measurements. I don't see
anything in the theory that suggests we should expect such inconsistencies
in any two successive measurements (be they of an entangled photon pair, or
two measurements of the same photon).

Can you elaborate on why you think the Schrodinger equation implies such
inconsistencies ought to arise?

Jason