> On 20 Jul 2018, at 23:12, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 10:17:04 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 20 Jul 2018, at 04:40, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>

>> Nevertheless, I still stand with Schroedinger that in any quantum
>> superposition, other than for slit experiments, the system cannot be in all
>> eigenstates simultaneously before measurement.
>
> Then you can no more explain the working of an interferometer, or polariser,
> or even the structure of the hydrogen atoms, molecules, etc. You are just
> saying that QM works for the double slit, but not for anything else. That is
> contrary to the fact that QM has just never been shown wrong, at any scale
> and level.
>
> Sorry, but I see you have no clue what I have been claiming in this thread.
> Although I infer that English isn't your native language, you know it well
> enough to understand my claim; yet you do NOT. How can you expect to posit
> new theories about reality, such as based on arithmetic, if you are unable to
> understand simple English?
>
> OK, let me start again. I am NOT questioning the CALCULATED results of QM.

That is ambiguous. Is it SWE + COLLAPSE, or just SWE (+ Mechanism) ?

Personally by QM I mean the SWE or its Dirac Version, or DeWitt-Wheeler, etc.
Once I understood that Bohr’s perturbation act needs FTL influence, I have
ceased to judge the collapse plausible.

The problem is in how we related the results of measurement with the quantum
wave, and with the collapse, the answer is in the relative average histories
(sequence of memories).

> All I am asserting is that the INTERPRETATION of a quantum superposition of
> states is wrong if it claims that a system represented by a superposition of
> states is SIMULTANEOUSLY in all components of the superposition.

Then QM is false, as it describes an observer of the schroedinger cat as a
superposition of the observer seeing the cat dead + the observer seeing the cat
alive. You add a new axiom: the collapse, which distinguish the observer from
the observed. You need a non mechanist theory of mind.

We disagree on the theory. You add an axiom, which unfortunately leads to FTL,
physical 3p indeterminism, non covariance, etc.

In Everett, the theory applies to the observer’s body, entirely. You are the
one adding a new axiom that QM does not obey to what? Macroscopic device?
Consciousness? You can choose the cut very near your consciousness, to avoid
the experimental refutations, but in all case, you need to make QM wrong to
make the other branches of the wave disappear.

> I make this claim because bases in Hilbert spaces are NOT unique,

The reasoning is independent of the base, but of course, a “concrete” relative
observer needs to choose a base, usually the same as its preys, which is the
same for its predators.

I do not claim any truth. Just that QM without collapse explains better than QM
+ collapse. And then that if QM use mechanism, eventually the wave itself is
the product of the universal machine ignorance border.

> and I gave the example of vectors in a plane to show that since the number of
> bases can be huge in number, sometimes uncountable, it mocks the claim that
> one particular basis is special.

No one is special “ontologically”, but some one become local star.

> If it isn't special, there is no reason to assume that an expansion of a wf
> for a system in one basis, implies the system is simultaneously in all
> components of this particular.superposition.

?

Any base will give the same relative base in which the observer is defined.
(The position base).

Everett explains all this in detail in his long text. There is no choice of
special basis, except for the empirist who follows our ancestors in the art of
positioning things.

That is probably why the “relative sates” wording is better than the “world”
wording.  “Dream” or “Game” might be less wrong.

> When I formally studied QM at the undergraduate and graduate levels, we
> solved many of the standard problems such as the H-atom, tunneling, etc., and
> in no case did the assumption about superposition which I claim is
> unwarranted and false, enter the analysis.

??????????? (You miss something, but I did have a book by a guy who understood
QM very well, indeed was teaching it for 17 years, and did never talk or even
thing about the conceptual problems. He was just sure that the superposition
where microscopic things lasting nanoseconds. He acknowledge that he was wrong
after the Aspect experiment, which changes his life, just trying to understand
QM.

The assumption of superposition *is* quantum mechanics.

> I invite you to explicitly and exactly demonstrate where this erroneous
> assumption is used in these solutions.

 up + down behave differently that a mixture of up and down particles.

By linearity of both evolution and the tensor product O(up + down) = O up + O
down = O-seeing up up + O-seeing down down. But from O’s viewpoint, it is just
a self-duplication, and so he can expect to be undetermined on some of its
future measurement. Using Gleason theorem, or perhaps simpler reasoning related
to the square function and Pythagoras theorem, the wave gives the relative
proportions similar to the Born rules. Technically, there is stem much
debatable here, and in my opinion, this will eventually need the taking into
account of the possible self-referential mode of the universal machine.

> Note that when we expand a system in a superposition of eigenstates, it is
> usually assumed that the component eigenstates are orthogonal. Hence no
> MUTUAL interference.

That does not make sense to me. You might try to give an example of what could
be a mutual interference. As long you agree that QM give the correct
distribution of probability for the position of *one* particles confronted with
many choices of path …

> Where we get interference is between the wf itself, and some particular
> eigenstate, when we apply the postulate for calculating the probability of
> the occurrence of the eigenvalue of this eigenstate.

OK. We agree then. But you assume unicity of reality or collapse. I am
reasoning always in the non collapse theory, taking the SWE equation seriously
whatever the base you choose to describe the universal wave. Of course, I use
the fact that our brain has been implemented relatively to the position base.
Then the relative states described by the wave strangely coincides with the
facts up to now.

> As you know, unlike classical E&M, in QM we must calculate the NORM-SQUARED
> to get the probability, and since these functions are complex, the
> interference terms necessarily appear in the calculation.

It appears in nature. The amplitude of the wave is complex itself. You can say
“Oh, but all that happens only in between measurements, but to get all decimal
correct, your computation needs to emulate all the branches.

> As for double slit INTERPRETATION, I didn't claim that QM only works for slit
> experiments. What I claimed is that for this particular situation, where the
> incoming particle can be interpreted as a wave which goes through both slits
> and interferes with itself, the superposition CAN BE INTERPRETED as being in
> both states of the superposition simultaneously.

But the math of the two slits is isomorphic of the math of the spin or of any
qubits. The problem with QM is that it has to take the superposition seriously,
and this leads to “many-histories”, or you need to say where QM get wrong, or
where you hope QM could get wrong.

To me, QM just confirms the fact that our “consciousness” here-and-now is
related to an infinity of computations.

Are you defending Bohm? At least I can understand his attempts, and I
appreciate his honesty to accept the FTL, but that go too far for me.

Read perhaps the David Albert Books. There are many good books. I think that
the Many-world is the most conservative position. It adds the less of Magic to
make sense.

>> I have asked for arguments to support this apparently superfluous
>> assumption, but none of the usual suspects have ventured forward. Applying
>> this assumption we get patent absurdities
>
> It shocking perhaps, but not absurd.
>
> No; in fact absurd -- to think Joe the Plumber can do one trial of a slit
> experiment and create uncountable copies of himself, replete with his
> memories!  Physics isn't always intuitive as relativity shows, but this is
> because we don't normally experience speeds near the SOL.

Here QM explains why Joe does not feel the split too.

> But what has occurred is that this insufficiency of human intuition has been
> inappropriately generalized in such manner as to justify dispensing entirely
> with common sense. AG

Introducing FTL is more foolish than making reality just bigger,.

>> like the MWI, among others.
>
> MWI is just QM taken seriously.
>

> The MWI follows from the assumption in superposition which I claim is not
> only extraneous, but false.

Honestly you just astonish me. QM is the theory which assume that state are
described by vectors in a complex infinite dimensional Hilbert space, and the
whole point of such a space is that the sum of two states is again a state, and
indeed, a not to much vague position is a sum of of much more vague set of
momenta, position and momenta are superposition of each other. QM without
superposition is like ships without mayonnaise and without ships.

> IIRC, it isn't applied in the H-atom or tunneling phenomena analysis.

? ? ? ?

> And where it IS used, we get the absurdities of the power of Joe the Plumber.
> So if we trash this erroneous assumption, the MWI and cats alive and dead
> simultaneously go away. AG

QM go away.

Actually I have to go too.

You densely need to read Albert Books, or study any book on the foundation of
QM. You talk like if you don’t see the problem. Nevertheless Everett type of
physics is much closer to what we have to expect from mechanism in the
cognitive science, so I am definitely biased, as I derive Everett (almost) from
what any universal machine can discover looking inward “long enough”.

Bruno