On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 1:41:23 PM UTC+2, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> The computable universe hypothesis cannot make sense. To define
> “computable” you need to assume arithmetic. But arithmetic executes all
> computations, and the measure problem will have to involve infinities.
> So the correct passage from “mathematical universe” to computationalism
> consists in
>
> 1) distinguish well the ontology and the phenomenology. Restrict the
> ontology to the finite and computable finite objects,

In his paper, Tegmark included in CUH only mathematical structures defined
by halting computations. So I guess this would include only finite
computable objects?

> 2) allowing the infinite in the phenomenology, where indeed the physical
> universe will appear.
>
> The infinities ruins physics only if they are put in the ontology. This is
> explained in details in basically all my papers (on this subject). I can
> give the reference (again) if you are interested. Tegmark missed the
> mind-body problem.

How do you include the infinite in the phenomenology when you only have
finite objects in ontology? I imagine that we cannot really experience or
perceive the infinite, but we may infer it inductively from finite objects.
And this inductive inference may perhaps give us a kind of feeling or sense
of "the infinite", but it would be a feeling from the inferential process
rather than from the infinite itself.

Anyway, I should tell you that I am no mathematician, so I am afraid I
can't digest the technicalities in your papers. I am not even a physicist
or a professional philosopher, I just dabble in philosophy.

In my ontological musings, I try to get to the bottom of what is necessary
and avoid arbitrary assumptions. First, what is existence? All definitions
of existence should follow the principle of logical consistency, or in
other words, the principle of identity: an object (that which exists)
should be identical to itself. It should be what it is and not be what it
is not. This also means that the object should be defined consistently in
relation to everything else, otherwise its identity would be violated. I
know there are people who believe in the existence of inconsistently
defined objects (dialetheists), but that seems like craziness to me, sorry.
Moreover, unless you arbitrarily block logical explosion, such an
inconsistency would render all ontology meaningless, erasing even the
difference between existence and non-existence.

So, logical consistency is a necessary criterion of existence. Is any other
criterion necessary? I don't think so. Adding any other criterion seems
like an arbitrary restriction on what exists. If an object is identical to
itself, then it is something rather than nothing and so it is there in some
sense. Instead of excluding some consistent object from existence, we can
talk about the way in which it exists. And so, we can *identify* logical
consistency with existence, as the property of all existing objects (there
are actually no non-existing objects because such objects would have to be
inconsistent and therefore they would not be objects but nothing).

Next, I find that if there are objects, then there must also be relations
between them, as a special kind of objects that hold between other objects.
Relations are just as necessary as the objects between which they hold. And
while relations also hold between other relations, there must also be
objects that are non-relations, as I explained in this thread earlier today.

Next, I find that the most general relation is "similarity", because it is
a relation that holds between any two objects. It means that the two
objects have some different properties and some same properties. Which
gives rise to another general relation called "instantiation", which is the
relation between a property and its instance. The instantiation relation is
a special kind of the similarity relation but less general than similarity
since it doesn't hold between arbitrary two objects. Finally, any objects
can define a collection of them (for example based on their common
property, as long as such a definition is consistent), which gives rise to
another general relation called "composition", which is the relation
between a collection and its part. The composition relation, too, is a
special kind of the similarity relation but less general than similarity
since it doesn't hold between arbitrary two objects.

So, the similarity relation, together with its special kinds -
instantiation and composition, defines all possible relational structures.
And all these three relations come together in set theory, the foundation
of mathematics (instantiation is the satisfaction of a property/predicate
by a set and composition is set membership or the derived relation of set
inclusion). More accurately, by "set theory" I mean all consistent versions
of pure set theory. What all versions of pure set theory have in common is
the concept of set as a collection of objects that can be defined by
listing those objects (set members) or by specifying their common property.
As it turned out, not every definition via a common property is consistent,
and since it would not be very useful to define sets only via listing of
members, one must also specify with axioms what common properties can be
used to define sets. Which gives rise to uncountably many axiomatic
versions of pure set theory.

The relational aspect of reality is therefore defined by set theory and in
this sense is mathematical. That's where my ontology is the same as
Tegmark's mathematical universe idea. But in my ontology there are also
non-relations, which constitute a non-mathematical aspect of reality. I
propose that these non-relations, or at least some of them, are the
qualities of consciousness (qualia), thanks to their non-relational
(unstructured, unanalyzable) nature, which is nevertheless inseparable from
their relations to other objects, some of which we call "correlates of
consciousness".

In view of this, why do you restrict your ontology to finite arithmetic and
how do you get qualia from it?