On 12/3/2018 8:50 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 3 Dec 2018, at 10:35, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com <mailto:cloudver...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 8:17:54 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 12/2/2018 5:14 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 4:25:04 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

        On 12/2/2018 11:42 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

        On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 8:13:48 AM UTC-6,
        agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

            *
            *
            *Obviously, from a one-world perspective, only one
            history survives for a single trial. But to even
            grossly approach anything describable as "Darwinian",
            you have to identify characteristics of histories which
            contribute positively or negatively wrt surviving but I
            don't see an inkling of that. IMO, Quantum Darwinism is
            at best a vacuous restatement of the measurement
            problemt; that we don't know why we get what we get. AG*

        In the *sum over histories* interpretation - of the
        double-slit experiment, for example - each history carries
        a unit complex number - like a gene - and this gene
        reenforces (positively) or interferes (negatively) with
        other history's genes in the sum.

        But I thought you said the ontology was that only one
        history "popped out of the Lottery machine"?  Here you seem
        to contemplate an ensemble of histories, all those ending at
        the given spot, as being real.

        Brent

    All are real until all but one dies.
    RIP: All those losing histories.

    The trouble with that is the Born probability doesn't apply to
    histories, it applies to results.  So your theory says nothing
    about the probability of the fundamental ontologies.

    Brent

The probability distribution on the space of histories is provided by the path integral.

Except that isn't true. A probability (or probability density) is provided for a bundle of histories joining two events.  It doesn't not provide a probability of a single history.

Brent

I agree, and this statement can be made rather rigorously in the approach of Griffith and Omnes, except that Omnes eventually add an axiom of irrationality to extract a unique physical reality from the formalism. He said it, at least, explicitly: like saying “and now there is a miracle”. He says that at this stage, we need irrationalism. But that appears in the last ten sentences of a rather quite rational book. Well, the point is that we can generalise the Born rule for making sense on some probabilities on "consistent histories”. (But I am in trouble (now) on how to handle the GHZ state in term of (Griffith and Omnes)-histories (3-particle-GHZ = 1/sqrt(2)(up up up + down down down)).

*Backward causation, hidden variables and the meaning of completenes*s
[ https://www.ias.ac.in/article/fulltext/pram/056/02-03/0199-0209 ]

/Feynman’s path integral approach, calculation of the probability of the outcome in question depends on an integration over the possible individual paths between the given initial state and the given final state, each weighted by a complex number. The fact that the weights associated with individual paths are complex makes it impossible to interpret them as real valued probabilities, associated with a classical statistical distribution of possibilities./
/
/
/However, there is no such difficulty at the level of the entire ‘bundle’ of paths which comprise the path integral. If we think of the hidden reality as the instantiation not of one path rather than another but of one entire bundle rather than another, then the quantum mechanical probabilities can be thought of as classical probability distributions over such elements of reality. (For example, suppose we specify the boundary conditions in terms of the electron source, the fact that two slits are open, and the fact that a detector screen is present at a certain distance on the opposite side of the central screen. We then partition the detector screen, so as to define possible outcomes for the experiment. For each element O_i of this partition, there is a bundle B_i of Feynman paths, constituting the path integral used in calculating the probability of outcome O_i . We have a classical probability distribution/
/over the set of such B_i ./

One could stop at /history bundles/ as the sample space, or the "hidden reality" could be that /one history/ is selected at random from the history bundle. That could occur with t*ime symmetry* (retrocausality): The one path is chosen at random from a history bundle at the source in the present from the distribution determined on the history bundles in the future.

With mechanism, the randomness and the unicity is a first person (plural) experience only, and seems to me no more astonishing than in the amoeba duplication, or than in the Helsinki—> Washington/Moscow duplication, as seen from the first person ways.

Bruno

- pt