On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 12/19/2018 4:31 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 6:00 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:40 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what this means.  Not dynamic in what sense?
>>>

>> Dynamics is the study of matter in motion. There are no clocks in
>> arithmetic.
>>

> Matter only moves with respect to different times, likewise the state of a
> computer's registers and memory only change between steps of a CPU.  You
> could study the dynamics of state changes in a computer.
>

>>> The analogy with the block universe idea is useless, because the block

>>> Then you have already abandoned the idea of a 3-dimensional space
>>> evolving in time.  How does this not leave "block time" as the only view
>>> that preserves an objective global spacetime?  Why give up an objective
>>> realist view that captures all of spacetime when you do't have to?
>>>

>> In what sense has this given up an objective global spacetime? All that
>> has been abandoned is the concept of a universal time parameter which could
>> give unique sense to global time slices. One can imagine such a foliation
>> of space like hyper surfaces if one wants to, but it is not imposed by
>> relativity.
>>

> But relativity does rules out "naive presentism" -- the idea that there
> are is an objective spacelike hypersurfaces that we can call a present. You
> seem to agree with me on this.  What I am struggling with is the
> interpretation of time, or of the present, when you reduce present moments
> to single points in space time.  What does this buy you?  It seems to make
> it much harder to talk about the relationship between remote points in
> space time.
>

> It's easy: They are spacelike, pastlike, or futurelike.

But as you and Bruce have said recently, the present is not space-like, but
must be localized to a single point (or do you disagree with this?).

What dimensionality do you assing to pastlike and futurelike?

> For example, how do they effect one another?
>

> Each one is affected by those in its past light cone.

A past light come is a space-time (4-d volume).  This gets you back to the
Andromeda paradox (two observers crossing each other on the sidewalk share
different past and future light cones which contain different ontologies.

> How can one talk about machines (such as our own brains) which are
> extended in space time, when we can only talk about individual atoms, or
> neurons existing in their own present, when they must interact with other
> neurons whose signal remains but that neuron now no longer exists (being in
> its own present time different from the perspective of the neuron which
> received its signal).  It just seems so much more complicated to add the
> notion of popping into and out of existence, when it is wholly unnecessary
> and adds nothing to the theory.
>

> There's no problem with considering those events in the past light cone as
> affecting each event.

Except when it comes to saying whether those things exist.

>> The problem with the "objective realist view" to which you seem to wish
>> to cling is that not only is it not required by SR, it is positively ruled
>> against by quantum mechanics, particularly non-local EPR-type correlations.
>>

> I don't agree EPR has any bearing on this topic, but also don't want to
> re-open that can of worms here.
>

>> This reminds me quite a bit of the break down of the naive conception of
>>> personal identity.  The normal view is each person's experiences are
>>> bounded by either psychological or biological continuity.  Thought
>>> experiments such as duplicating or permuting minds show neither of these
>>> can work.  The only consistent choices that remain are:
>>> 1. "universalism" -- all experiences belong to one universal experiencer
>>> 2. "no-self" -- there are only single individual thought moments
>>>

>> Your person-duplicating thought experiments have no such drastic
>> consequences -- there are other possibilities.
>>

> I would like to hear what they are, as I am not aware of them.
>

>> The thought experiments of relativity, such as the Rietdijk-Putnam
>>> experiment, lead to a similar break down. You either reduce what exists
>>> "presently" to a collection of independent events (points) in space time,
>>> or you expand it to include all of space time.  But in both cases, you are
>>> saying what exists in the present is the same (all points in space time vs.
>>> all of space time).  I'm not sure you there is really a conceptual
>>> difference.
>>>

>> There are many presents. Each present is purely local.
>>

> So ontologically speaking, all that exists right now is what?
>

> There is "here and now".

So a single Plank-length volume. (or if it is not a Plank-length volume,
please tell me how large the spatial extent of "here" is)

> There is "here and then".

A past-light-line (not a cone?)

> There is "there and then"

It doesn't/never existed?

> But there is no "right now".

So nothing exists but the current local Plank-time point?

> The single currently firing neuron in your brain that was the last neuron
> firing necessary for you to realize your conscious experience of reading
> this e-mail?  No other neurons, and no other human beings, nor any other
> planets exist right now, because all that exists is the event that
> immediately surrounds you?
>

> That's why I've held that the concept of "observer moments" or
> instantaneous states of consciousness is incoherent.  Conscious thoughts
> have a duration and they overlap one another, so there is an implicit arrow
> of time in consciousness.

This issue goes away under mechanism.  A computation can be distributed in
space-time.  Something like an Intel CPU is very much distributed over
time, a distributed computation, involving multiple computers, or a
parallel computation, such as with the brain, is distributed in time and
space.  So while a computation's implementation may have an extent through
time and space, the computation itself is in a way outside of time and
space.  A computation, for instance has no:

   - mass
   - energy
   - location in space
   - location in time
   - unique identity (it can have many instantiations / realizations)

Jason