On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 3:40:53 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 3:13 AM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>>

>> Is not 333’s oddness timeless?
>>

>> Category error.
>>

> On category error:
>
> I've never understood "category error" [
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake ]. (Some philosopher I
> read about recently gave a talk on the non-existence of category errors.
> Good.)

Philosophers will say anything to earn a quid!

> *Is 333's oddness timeless? *is a perfectly reasonable question.
>
> To the immaterialist, the answer could be "yes".
> To the materialist, the answer could not be "no".
>
> It all depends.
>
> There is a type of dualists who say 333 is one category (nonphysical) and
> time (as in spacetime) is in another category (physical), but this dualism
> is just mixed-up confusion to me.

That's what a category error is -- a mixed-up confusion. To say that the
"number 3" is red is a category error, unless one is talking about a
child's play number set, in which the wooden block in the shape of "3"
might well be coloured red. As you say, whether or not something is a
category error often depends on the context.

Bruce