On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 5:35:02 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2019, at 08:25, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:40:32 PM UTC-6, cdemorsella wrote:
>
>> Two fascinating (and very different) approaches are presented to derive
>> Quantim Mechanics main practical tool (e.g. Born's rule). Wonder what some
>> of the physicists on here think about this research?
>>
>> I find the argument that no laws is the fundamental law... and that the
>> universe and its laws are emergent guided by subtle mathematical
>> statistical phenomena, at the same time both alluring and annoying.... it
>> is somehow unsatisfactory.... like being served a quite empty plate with
>> nice garnish for dinner.
>>
>> One example of emergence from chaotic conditions is how traffic jams (aka
>> density waves) can emerge from chaotic initial conditions, becoming self
>> re-enforcing within local domains of influence... for those unlucky to be
>> stuck in them. Density wave emergence is seen across scale, for example the
>> spiral arms of galaxies can be explained as giant gravitational pile ups
>> with some fundamentally similar parallels to say a rush hour traffic jam,
>> except on vastly different scales of course and due to other different
>> factors, in the galactic case the emergent effects of a vast number of
>> gravitational inter-actions as stars migrate through these arms on their
>> grand voyages around the galactic core.
>>
>> This paired with the corollary argument that any attempt to discover a
>> fundamental law seems doomed to the infinite regression of then needing to
>> explain what this foundation itself rests upon.... leading to the "it's
>> turtles all the way down" hall of mirrors carnival house... head-banger.
>>
>> Perhaps, as Wheeler argued, the world is a self-synthesizing system, and
>> the seeming order we observe, is emergent... a law without law.
>>
>> Here is the link to the article:
>>

>> https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-born-rule-has-been-derived-from-simple-physical-principles-20190213/
>>

> One can (sort of) write all "physics" in a couple of equations: the
> Einstein Field Equation (EFE) and the Standard Model Equation (SME):
>
> EFE:
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/EinsteinLeiden4.jpg/620px-EinsteinLeiden4.jpg
> +
> SME:
> https://www.sciencealert.com/images/Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_3.20.12_pm.png
>
> What caused *this particular arrangement* of expressions in these to be
> the "law" of our universe I suppose can be "explained" by it's being one of
> any number of possible arrangements.
>

> The tiny (sigma_1) arithmetical reality contains all “combinations” of all
> programs, and your explanation is a bit like digital physics, where the
> physical universe would be one special universal number, say U. That is
> possible, but this can explain the origin of the physical laws, in a
> [...]
Whatever brand of scientist - physicist, chemist, biologist, even
psychologist - it seems that they see any theory of whatever is within
their domain is to be composed of a finite number of sentences (e.g.
equations, for physicists).

To have a theory that is composed of an infinite number of sentences is
sort of outside of their way of thinking.

- pt