On 2/28/2019 2:14 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 3:48:04 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 2/28/2019 1:17 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    The best current philosopher of (and writer about) consciousness
    is *Galen Strawson*.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Strawson
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Strawson>
    https://sites.google.com/site/galenstrawson/
    <https://sites.google.com/site/galenstrawson/>
    https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/philosophy/faculty/profile.php?id=gs24429
    <https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/philosophy/faculty/profile.php?id=gs24429>

    There is a lot of his material (PDFs, articles, videos, etc.)
    freely available online.

    The main word that is synonymous with /consciousness /is
    /experience/.

    Which is something bacteria and plants and my thermostat
    have...and ability to detect and react to the environment based on
    internal states.

    Brent

Galen is a (type of) micropsychist.

But the point is we don't need a philosopher to explain that level of consciousness to us.  It's already at the level of engineering. If Strawson is going to provide any useful explanations of consciousness he should study machine learning...it's getting close to engineering consciousness at the next higher level.