On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 11:37:01 UTC+3, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2019, at 18:11, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> On Monday, 29 April 2019 17:03:53 UTC+3, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 29 Apr 2019, at 08:44, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
>> everyth...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> You cannot invalidate the fact that consciousness is all there is,
>> because for any fact X that you assume that you discover, that X is a
>> thought in consciousness.
>>

>> But I don’t see why this invalidate that there would be something more
>> than my consciousness, for example the possible consciousness of some
>> other.
>>

> Yes, there are other consciousness. But that's all, because existence
> itself can only be ontologically subjective.
>

> Why?
>
> In particular, if you grant the consciousness of other person, that
> consciousness is not personal-subjective, for me. I need some amount of
> “independent reality” from me to allow some other to exist.

Indeed the problem of personal identity seems to me one of the hardest
problems of consciousness. I don't know what keeps me stable during the
course of my life, or what keeps me separated from others. But as you know,
in telepathies, you get to unify with other consciousnesses and experience
common qualia. I don't think though that this changes the definition of
"existence" that I'm giving. The fact that I don't experience all the
qualia that happen in the world at the present moment, doesn't change the
fact that those qualia have an ontologically subjective mode of being. It
might even be the case that, given the fact that there is no objective
time, there is also no coherent way of talking about "simultaneous"
consciousnesses that *at this very moment* are outside of me and I'm not
experiencing them. It might be the case that *at this very moment* no other
consciousness exists, though they do exist, but not *at this very moment*.
So the definition of "existence" that I'm giving, remains.