> On 29 Apr 2019, at 18:11, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On Monday, 29 April 2019 17:03:53 UTC+3, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 29 Apr 2019, at 08:44, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List
>> <everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> You cannot invalidate the fact that consciousness is all there is, because
>> for any fact X that you assume that you discover, that X is a thought in
>> consciousness.
>
> But I don’t see why this invalidate that there would be something more than
> my consciousness, for example the possible consciousness of some other.
>

> Yes, there are other consciousness. But that's all, because existence itself
> can only be ontologically subjective.

Why?

In particular, if you grant the consciousness of other person, that
consciousness is not personal-subjective, for me. I need some amount of
“independent reality” from me to allow some other to exist.

>> I don't see where I borrow anything from materialist ideas. Evolution is
>> deducible directly from looking at qualia. There are no "bodies" that
>> evolve, but consciousnesses that evolve.
>
> That is what you have to elaborate. I can interpret this favourably (in the
> mechanist frame) or not. It is a bit too much vague, as I expect, actually,
> from a theory which assumes consciousness.
>
> Just look at human psychology. It is solely for survival and reproduction.
> All our emotion qualia serve these purposes.

? (That would make consciousness not being fundamental, contrary to your axiom)

> For example look at the users which their beliefs are being threatened how
> they become aggressive. This is because instinctively they feel that their
> alpha male domination is being threatened by another male, so they jump to
> kill him. So all these emotion qualia couldn't have otherwise appeared just
> by evolution.

Why?

> All the evolutionary history is included in present day qualia that we have.
> If you want to find out how the Earth was 1 billion years ago, ask yourself
> what does the smell of pineapple means for example, and you will find that
> the quale of pineapple smell has a particular evolutionary reason why it is
> the way it is.

?

That is unclear to me. I know you will not do it, but formalising in first
order logic would clarify a lot. Now, you can’t do that if mechanism is true,
because consciousness is necessarily not a formal concept, but a semantical
one, and the whole point of formalising is to not start from a semantic. You
seem to condemn yourself into a fuzzy theory.

Frankly, consciousness and matter is what I want to explain/understand, and the
mechanist assumption makes possible to build a testable theory, so let us do
the test, and only invoke things like god, consciousness, reality, or alien in
last ressort, if the experience violate all expressible theories.