It's late here and I'm going to sleep. But I will add just one point. As I
mentioned earlier, the definition that I'm giving for "existence" is the
looking-back-at-itself of self-reference, through which self-reference
finds objects in itself and identifies with those objects. "Existence" is
basically that property that makes things with definite properties: red is
red, sweet is sweet, etc. So it is a rather precise definition.
Nevertheless, self-reference itself is unformalizable. Self-reference
neither exists nor not-exists. And depending on what other characteristics
this peculiar state of affairs fully entails that consciousness later on
displays on its own certain characteristics, including evolution that might
not necessarily be part of consciousness per se. This is where the
difficulties lie: in understanding what unformal entities actually can do,
what kind of powers do they have.