> On 2 May 2019, at 13:59, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 1:54 AM 'Brent Meeker'
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>>
> wrote:
>
> > Islam is a religion based almost entirely on threats.
>
> True, but in all fairness Christianity is also based on threats. It preaches
> that faith (believing in something when there is no good reason for doing so)
> is not stupidity but is instead the ultimate virtue, and if you don't believe
> in all the crap that Christianity (or Islam) says then a good and loving God
> will torture you most fiendishly not for 10^100 years but for an infinite
> number of years. I'm no saint but I wouldn't do that to a unrepentant Hitler,
> and yet another thing we're suposed to do is constantly flatter God by
> telling Him how good He is.
>
>  The Meaning of Life: Praise the Lord
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7sF4JzjwTg>
>
> John K Clark

To be slightly provocative, and short, I would say that Christanism died in
529, when the emperor Jusitinian sided with the radicals, and closed the
Academy of Plato, beginning a lasting persecution of the “pagan theologian”,
that is mainly the neoplatonists.

Today they have the great help of the (strong) atheists, to mock any attempt to
come back at the level of the neoplatonician rigour in the domain, which is so
helpful for continuing the exploitation the people  by the states and
institutions. That is when theology has been initially stolen by the “temporal
power”, and that is a blasphemy and sin in any reasonable theology.

Then, many neoplatonician took refuge in the Middle East, leading to the
enlighten period of what is called the greco-muslim religious era, ending,
unfortunately when Al-Ghazali, won his debate against Averroes.

Averroès defended the idea that the text(s) should be submitted to Reason, when
Al-Ghazali defended the idea that Reason must be submitted to the text.

Averroès criticised the literal reading of religious texts, against those who
favoured, sometimes invoking the lack of maturity of the people, the literal
reading of religious histories. Note that Maimonides seems to be the one
helping the jews to fall in that literalist trap. Despite his “appreciation of
Aristotle”, he kept the link with Plato’s insight.

>From that point, islam will abandon science and philosophy, and enter a very
>dark age. To be sure, I have discovered that many christians and muslims
>minority schools (like the Ma”taselit, the Bektashi, …) will keep the
>non-literalism of Averroès (and recently, I discovered that the muslims in
>Albania were Bektashi, and save the Albanian jews, and many other Jews from
>the Nazis, confirming the universal machine theology, where “humanity" is
>related to rigour in theology).

The problem are not religion or theology. The problem are the pseudo-science
and the pseudo religion, based on the argument per authority (like violence in
particular), that we get when we try to separate them.