> On 8 May 2019, at 20:41, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 5/8/2019 9:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 3 May 2019, at 20:17, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
>>> <everything-list@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

>>> Notice however that this assumes you know what t and f are.
>>
>> No, that is not assumed. t and f are only boolean constant. In the
>> arithmetical interpretation, you can take any simple theorems of your
>> (Church-Turing universal) theory (that you are supposed to believe in).
>> Usually t is interested by “1=1” and f by “~(1=1)”. But in the combinators t
>> is interpreted by K and f by KI.
>>
>> With digital mechanism, just to define what is a digital machine, we need
>> some acknowledgement on elementary arithmetic, for which we do have a notion
>> of truth, indeed made mathematically precise by Tarski. In the usual
>> mathematical sense, and not definable in arithmetic, like all good notion of
>> god should be.
>>

>>>   In the formalism they are just markers that are invariant under the rules
>>> of inference.
>>
>> Yes, except that here they correspond to direct conclusion of the logical
>> rule. Now “1” is represented by "s(0)” (or its Gödel number), and what you
>> say will apply to all symbols, or symbols of symbols. The interpretation is
>> in the truth, that is here is the stantard model of arithmetic (the
>> structure (N, 0, s, +, x).
>> Your remark applies also to brain and (physical or not) realities.
>>

>>> In the semantics they refer to some model.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>

>>> Beware of the priest who tells you he knows the real model.
>>
>> Exactly.
>
> Above you are telling us the standard model of arithmetic is the real model.

Like everyone. In this case, the standard model can be shown to be the least
model, and the intersection of all models. Nobody believe in non standard
natural number, as they are infinite. Non standard natural number can be used
in non standard analysis, but all the understanding on “non standard” makes
precise sense in arithmetic, because we do have a good intuition of what the
standard numbers are.

Keep in mind that a non standard model contains all the standard numbers 0, 1,
2, …, plus infinite objects which have infinitely any predecessor
(transitively).

Keep in mind that we assume computationalism. In the non standard model of
arithmetic, addition and multiplication are already NOT computable.

The understanding of the natural numbers corresponds to the standard model. But
“finite” is not a first order property, so we can’t define the natural numbers
entirely in first order logic, and the non standard model is a mess due to that
restriction. The standard model can be defined in analysis, as much well as any
limit of a Cauchy sequence.

The standard model is the intersection of on what everybody agree on the
natural numbers. It is taught in primary school. You need to learn a bit of
mathematical logic to even grasp the notion of non standard numbers, and that
requires also the understanding of standard numbers.

Bruno

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/25B6FA56-0A57-4189-8DB4-0C3BEF77D4C6%40ulb.ac.be.