That's part of my argument with Bruno concerning the environment. He agrees that the simulation of one's brain would have to include at least a local part of the environment, but he sees this as mere small expansion in the scope of the simulation which must also be computable.  Cleland seems to take the other extreme that a conscious program is necessarily interactive and what it interacts with is uncomputable (although what we know is that it's not practical to compute it).

Brent