On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 12:12:13 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:27 AM Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:47:36PM +1000, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> > On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:14 PM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 16 May 2019, at 03:27, Bruce Kellett <bhkel...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> >         On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:59 AM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be
> <javascript:>>
> >         wrote:
> >
> >             The first order theory of the real numbers does not require
> >             arithmetical realism, but the same theory + the
> trigonometrical
> >             functions reintroduce the need of being realist on the
> integers.
> >             Sin(2Pix) = 0 defines the integers  in that theory.
> >
> >             If you reject arithmetical realism, you need to tell us which
> >             axioms you reject among,
> >
> >             1) 0 ≠ s(x)
> >             2) x ≠ y -> s(x) ≠ s(y)
> >             3) x ≠ 0 -> Ey(x = s(y))
> >             4) x+0 = x
> >             5) x+s(y) = s(x+y)
> >             6) x*0=0
> >             7) x*s(y)=(x*y)+x
> >

> > You say that "realism" is just acceptance of the axioms of arithmetic
> above.
> > But then you say that arithmetical statements are true in the model of
> > arithmetic given by the natural integers. There is a problem here: are
> the
> > integers the model of your axioms above, or is it only the axioms that
> are
> > "real". If the integers are the model, then they must exist
> independently of
> > the axioms -- they are separately existing entities that satisfy the
> axioms,
> > and their existence cannot then be a consequence of the axioms, on pain
> of
> > vicious circularity.
>

> Axioms 1-3 define the successor operator s(x). It is enough to
> generate the set of whole numbers by repeated application on the
> element 0. As a shorthand, we can use traditional decimal notation (eg
> 5) to refer to the element s(s(s(s(s(0))))). 4&5 define addition, and
> 6&7 define multiplication on these objects.
>

> That is where the problem lies. If these axioms generate the set of whole
> numbers, then that is a constructvist or nominalist account of arithmetic.
> If, however, the integers exist independently and are thus just a model for
> these axioms (a domain in which the axioms are true), then you have
> arithmetic realism. You can't have it both ways.

*I find this discussion of Peano's postulates very interesting. FWIW, I
usually agree with your views. ISTM that we get our ideas of numbers and
arithmetic by viewing the external world.  We see many different things out
there, so we get the idea of "many". Sometimes we see one of a kind, and
can imagine another, and another, leading to the idea of 2 and 3 And we can
infer an unending collection of that original one of a kind, leading to the
inference of a countable set. Addition is implicit, and multiplication is
really addition. So arithmetic realism seems like a huge stretch, to say
the least. Now this combination of observation and inference are summarized
in Peano's postulates, but with the empiricism eliminated. So they don't
seem to accomplish anything, and insofar as empiricism is eliminated, they
seem less than meets the eye. So my question is this; why are they
important; what do they tell us that we don't already know? AG*