On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:17:35 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> On 6/4/2019 4:29 PM, John Clark wrote:
>
> If we were starting from scratch I would suggest Anarcho-Capitalism, I
> think it would be far superior to democracy, but unfortunately we are not
> starting from scratch and so it would be very difficult to get there from
> here;  but don't let the word "anarchy" scare you, it just means lack of
> government. Chaos necessarily implies anarchy but anarchy does not
> necessarily imply chaos.
>

> Capitalism assumes that one can own things, especially money.  But without
> government to adjudicate and enforce claims of ownership, you couldn't own
> any more than you could carry on your back at a dead run.   Most of the
> rich people in the U.S. are rich in virtue of owning stuff, not making
> stuff.
>
> Brent

These discussions have become far longer than what I want to spend time on.
These types of discussions have a pernicious way of burning up time and
frankly neurons. Even if a completely libertarian system were established,
the corporations, banks and those at their top would pretty quickly go
about forming a government to provide a platform, a coherent set of laws
etc in which they could effectively conduct their commerce. Of course it
would be purely plutocratic, which in ways is not terribly different from
what we currently have, and with t'Rump it will go all the way full tilt
into an American form of fascism.

LC