On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 4:50 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 6 May 2019, at 20:34, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> > On 3 May 2019, at 20:09, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
>> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>> science, making exact science inexact and human science inhuman.

>> > That's the kind of absolutist pronouncement that priests and despots
>> have used to justify oppression and atrocities from auto-de-fe' to
>> Buchenwald.
>>
>> I could have put that truth, or meaning, or value, is the only goal, but,
>> normally, with what follow, i.e. “science is the only mean”, people should
>> understand that this assume the minimum spiritual maturity of those who
>> knows that in the religion domain, the argument-per-authority is not just
>> not valid, it is catastrophic.

>> > And every person is an end.
>>
>> Absolutely.
>>
>> Which should invite to be skeptic on all metaphysics which threat the
>> existence of persons.
>>
>> Theology is today full of BS, not because theology is BS, only because
>> theology has been separated from science, with the goal to use it as a way
>> to control people. The prohibition of medication, and the idea that a
>> government can have a word on this, in place of you or your doctor, is the
>> same phenomenon. It is how liars get power, by appropriating the domain out
>> of the serious and modest inquirers. The USSR did that with genetics,
>> because theology was already just forbidden, and materialism (even the
>> strong version) was obligatory. It is always the use of the argument per
>> authority, in place of questions and other questions.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> I just found this quote by Godel, where he concluded mostly the same:
>
> There would be no danger of an atomic war if advances in history, the
> science of right and of state, philosophy, psychology, literature, art,
> etc. were as great as in physics. But instead of such progress, one is
> struck by significant regresses in many of the spiritual sciences. [123]
>

>  http://kevincarmody.com/math/goedel.html
>
> Jason
>

> The consequences of Mechanism assess many statement made by Gödel,
> including his skepticism toward naturalism. Unfortunately, like many, he
> taught that mechanism was a trick to defend materialism and naturalism,
> where, as I try to explain, mechanism and materialism are at the antipodes
> of each other.
>
> Then Gödel was too much a mathematical realist. He was a set realist, on
> which I am rather neutral. With mechanism, finite set realism is assured,
> but the axiom of infinity is probably inconsistent at the ontological
> level. It would reintroduce too many “histories” and the white rabbits
> would come back (not that we can be sure they are eliminated with
> Mechanism, or even with the inferred quantum mechanics).

I found this quote by Godel regarding set realism. It seems he believed in
sets because you need them to prove certain facts about the integers:

"if mathematical objects are our creations, then evidently integers and
sets of integers will have to be two different creations, the first of
which does not necessitate the second. However, in order to prove certain
propositions about integers, the concept of set of integers is necessary.
So here, in order to find out what properties *we* have given to certain
objects of our imagination, [[we]] must first create certain other
objects--a very strange situation indeed!"

Does this require finite or infinite set theory? Is either compatible with
mechanism?

Jason