From: *Bruno Marchal* <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>>
On 8 Sep 2019, at 13:59, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    On 7 Sep 2019, at 08:04, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
    <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 3:54 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything
    List <everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        On 9/6/2019 10:21 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
        Sean Carroll is on a nationwide speaking tour now
        evangelizing Many Worlds.

        What is the predictive power of Many Worlds?

        None, unless someone can figure out how to derive Born's
        rule from it...which I think is impossible.  But it does go
        a way toward making the story of measurement more consistent.

    Amplify the above statement.

    Even Zurek, who starts from a many worlds perspective, thinks
    that ultimately one can abandon the non-seen worlds as irrelevant.

    But irrelevant does not mean false. So it is irrelevant in
    physics, but it is not irrelevant in theology. It might plays a
    role concerning the interpretation of death, like with quantum
    immortality.

If the only relevance you can find for many worlds is quantum immortality, then many worlds is indeed dead. Quantum immortality has been shown many times to be a complete nonsense.

Really. I did not known that. Could you give the references.

Follow the Wikipedia entry on quantum suicide. The main problem with the idea of quantum immortality is that not all life-threatening events that one can encounter are in the form of alternative outcomes to quantum processes. Quantum suicide is an attempt to overcome this problem by linking death or survival directly to the outcome of a particular quantum process. David Deutsch was sceptical that this worked:

 'PhysicistDavid Deutsch <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Deutsch>, though a proponent of the many-worlds interpretation, states regarding quantum suicide that "that way of applying probabilities does not follow directly from quantum theory, as the usual one does. It requires an additional assumption, namely that when making decisions one should ignore the histories in which the decision-maker is absent....[M]y guess is that the assumption is false."

Tegmark was also doubtful about the chances for quantum immortality -- pointing out that dying is rarely a binary event; it is more often the result of a slow cumulative process.

Another argument that has been given here before is that if quantum immortality is true, then we should expect to see a number of people who are considerably older than the normal life expectancy -- and we do not see people who are two or three hundred years old. Even if the probabilities are very low, there have been an awful lot of people born within the last 500 or so years -- some must have survived on our branch if this scenario is true.

That would be an indice that Mechanism is false, given that quantum immortality is deduce here from the already much more obvious arithmetical immortality, which is disturbing, but hard to avoid.

Well, as you know, I consider mechanism to be false in any case, so the failure of quantum immortality is no news to me.

Are you saying that quantum suicide is also a non-sense (metaphysically, it is a practical non-sense).

It relates to the standard problem for Many worlds theory -- if a quantum experiment with binary outcomes is performed many times, there will always be observers who see major deviations from the expected quantum probabilities. In which case, we cannot rely on repeated experiments to be a reliable indicator of the underlying probabilities. And if you cannot use long-run relative frequencies to estimate probabilities, what do you use? David Wallace attempts to get around this by simply dismissing the outliers as "irrelevant" (You, I recall, have made a similar argument.) Wallace even suggests that these outlying sets of results are "lost in the quantum noise", but he does not elaborate on this totally stupid claim. (Wallace, in "The Emergent Multiverse" (2012))

If the reference assume a wave packet reduction, or a way “matter” can interfere with the computations in arithmetic, no need to give the references. It is just working in different theories.

None of this has anything to do with wave-packet reduction, so you can rest easy.

Bruce