On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 12:00, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/10/2019 4:30 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>> > Another argument that has been given here before is that if quantum
>> > immortality is true, then we should expect to see a number of people
>> > who are considerably older than the normal life expectancy -- and we
>> > do not see people who are two or three hundred years old. Even if the
>> > probabilities are very low, there have been an awful lot of people
>> > born within the last 500 or so years -- some must have survived on our
>> > branch if this scenario is true.
>>
>> My argument was that each of us should find ourselves to be much older
>> than even the oldest people we know.
>

> That is probably the best single argument against quantum immortality: if
> QI is true, then the measure of our lifetime after one reaches a normal
> lifetime is infinitely greater than the measure before age , say, 120 yr.
> So if one finds oneself younger than 120 years, QI is false, and if MWI is
> still considered to be true, there must be another argument why MWI does
> not imply QI.

The measure of our lifetime when young might be larger than the measure
when very old if surviving as a very old person becomes exponentially less
likely. In any case, this is not relevant if it is given that there will be
a very old version of you in some corner of the world, whether distant in
time, space or in a parallel universe. You cannot avoid surviving to become
this version if it actually exists.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou