> [...]
>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:54 PM Lawrence Crowell
>> <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com <mailto:goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:59:27 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> This argument from Kent completely destroys Everett's attempt to derive the
>> Born rule from his many-worlds approach to quantum mechanics. In fact, it
>> totally undermines most attempts to derive the Born rule from any branching
>> theory, and undermines attempts to justify ignoring branches on which the
>> Born rule weights are disconfirmed. In the many-worlds case, recall, all
>> observers are aware that other observers with other data must exist, but
>> each is led to construct a spurious measure of importance that favours their
>> own observations against the others', and  this leads to an obvious
>> absurdity. In the one-world case, observers treat what actually happened as
>> important, and ignore what didn't happen: this doesn't lead to the same
>> difficulty.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> This appears to argue that observers in a branch are limited in their
>> ability to take the results of their branch as a Bayesian prior. This
>> limitation occurs for the coin flip case where some combinations have a high
>> degree of structure. Say all heads or a repeated sequence of heads and tails
>> with some structure, or apparent structure. For large N though these are a
>> diminishing measure.
>>
>> I don't think you have fully come to terms with Kent's argument. How do you
>> determine the measure on the observed outcomes? The argument that such
>> 'outlier' sequences are of small measure fails at the first hurdle, because
>> all sequences have equal measure -- all are equally likely. In fact, all
>> occur with unit probability in MWI.
>
> In practice one doesn't look for a measure on specific outcomes sequences
> because you're testing a theory that only predicts one probability.  You flip
> coins to test whether P(heads)=0.5 which you can confirm or refute without
> even knowing the sequences.  It might be that every sequence you get by
> flipping is in the form HTHTHTHTHTHTHT... which would support P(H)=0.5.  It
> would be a different world than ours, possibly with different physics; but
> that would be a matter of  testing a different theory.
>
> One of the problems with MWI is that can't seem to explain probability
> without sneaking in some equivalent concept. The obvious version of MWI would
> be branch counting in which every measurement-like event produces an enormous
> number of branches and the number of branches with spin UP relative to the
> number with spin DOWN gives the odds of spin UP.  A meta-physical difficulty
> is the all the spin UP branches are identical and so by Leibniz's identity of
> indiscernibles are really only one; but maybe this inapplicable since the
> measure involves lots of environment that would make it discernible.

With Mechanism, and apparently with Everett QM, we are multiplied by everything
we don’t depend on. The reason why “the particles go through both silts” is
that your mind state does not depend on which slit the particle go through.
Well, it is actually a bit more complex, but it is the general idea. In fact, I
got recently some argument that we might need the large cardinals, even the
very large one (like the cardinal of Woodin or of Laver) in this quest for the
measure. In fact the first person requires the full sigma_1(a) truth, that the
sigma_1 in the oracle a, for all oracles. That provides the ability to use
string axioms in set theory to get a measure space, but that is required
intuitively also, with the step 7 of the UDA, actually.

Bruno