On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 4:50 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Yes, Zurek is hard to follow since he seems to use unusal terminology
> sometimes.  Attached is a good discussion of his method by Schlosshauer and
> Fine which I find useful

Yes, Zurek is sometimes quite opaque, and I found the Schlosshauer-Fine
discussion of Zurek's additional, hidden, assumptions useful. In their
conclusions, they state: "We cannot derive probabilities from a theory that
does not already contain some probabilistic concept; at some stage, we need
to 'put probabilities in to get probabilities out'."

This is perhaps my basic worry with Zurek, as with other attempts to derive
the Born rule from the SWE. Zurek simply assumes that probabilities are
relevant, and necessarily a property of the quantum state -- the amplitudes
are then an obvious place for these probabilities to reside. Everything
else then follows. But this is not a derivation without additional
assumptions: where did the probability notion creep in? If you take the SWE
straight, the amplitudes (coefficients) just go along for the ride and have
no influence at all on the final state after measurement.

I have always found this a worrying aspect of Everett.

Bruce