On 2/22/2020 2:39 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 9:23 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    On 2/22/2020 2:10 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
    On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 7:17 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything
    List <everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        But isn't that just a matter of it's proponents overselling
        it.  If you say, well it's a probabilistic theory, then that
        the Born rule is the way to get a probability is fairly
        compelling.

    Many-world proponents certainly oversell Everett. I have not seen
    anybody admit openly that there is a problem with getting
    probability into a deterministic theory so it just has to be put
    in by hand. If, as you say, people admit that what they really
    want is a probabilistic theory, even if they have to force it in
    by hand, then at least some of the arguments for the Born rule
    make sense. But if you insist that your theory is pure
    SWE/Everett, then all attempts at deriving the Born rule from
    this deterministic position fail.

    The arguments that I have developed here, based on Kent's
    insight, take Many-worlds at face value. Then the theory is
    clearly incoherent, or at least incompatible with observation.
    However, if you take a classical deterministic theory, such as
    Bruno's WM-duplication thought experiment, then there is no way
    you can sensibly interpret such a theory probabilistically.

    You don't think copying of persons has a probabilistic implication
    for copies?

Only if you say so. The trouble, as I have pointed out, is that if they estimate their probabilities on the basis of the data they each collect from repeated trials, they all come to different answers. And all of these answers are equally justifiable. The concept of "a probability" in this situation is valueless.

You're still assuming that there is no statistical convergence in the MWI answers, as is assumed in one world?

Brent

The duplication case is similar to the question Carroll poses: "What branch will I end up on?" A question he rightly dismisses as misguided.

Bruce