> On 16 May 2020, at 17:19, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.net> wrote:
>

> Am Do, 7. Mai 2020, um 16:30, schrieb Bruno Marchal:

>>> Yes, I have no problem with any of what you say above.
>>
>> OK.
>>

>>> What I have been wondering about is something else: what exactly is meant
>>> by "primitive"?
>>

>> It depends on what you are interested in. To solve the mind-body
>> problem, the first difficulty is to formulate it, and for this the
>> notion of “primitiveness” is required, for what we will take for
>> granted to proceed.
>>
>> Basically X is considered as primitive if we have some reason to
>> consider X as non explainable from something else, and judged as being
>> more simple (technically/conceptually, … there is some matter of debate
>> here of course).
>
> Ok, but let me make the analogy with Copernicus' heliocentric model. It
> provides a simpler model for planetary dynamics in the solar system than
> assuming the earth at the center, but a more modern view on this debate is
> that there is really no center anywhere in the universe. You just choose
> whatever referential makes calculations easier.

It this not more “perspectival” or even “first person” centred. At the
beginning, some thought that Earth was at the center of the universe. This
meant that everything else was truly moving around us. Then we understood, that
a simpler explanation (and also less anthropocentric) was that the Sun is a the
center, and Earth go around it, and then we understood that even the Sun is
revolving in a galaxy. We could have decided that our blackhole at the center
of the Milky Way, is the “center” of the universe, but, as Kant suggested,
there are other galaxies, etc…
Today, we know that the “Big Bang” occurred everywhere, somehow, and that the
notion of center of the (physical) universe might not make sense at all, but it
is hard to say, as we can see only a tiny fraction of the physical universe,
and have not yet a coherent theory of the whole, even restricted to the
physical.

We have not much choice than to use Occam. The theory with the less hypotheses
and the bigger range of prediction is the best one, until we find a simpler and
more powerful one.

> I wonder if primitiveness is not like that. I believe that consciousness
> becomes irreducible if one takes matter as primitive, and I agree that taking
> the integers as primitive and proceeding as you do provides a perspective to
> tackle the mind-body problem that simply is not available to materialism. At
> the same time, it makes it very hard to explain why this particular dream
> that I am experiencing has such and such specific features and patterns.
>
> I guess I am in an extremely agnostic mood. Maybe it's the corona.

Agnostic is the position of the scientist. Even theologian are agnostic when
rational, like the greeks.

So, if the corona makes you agnostic, double the dose! Well, it contains
alcohol, so better to use some moderation!
There are much less toxic product for the same, if not better effect ….

>> Most materialist agrees that biology is explained, or explainable in
>> principle by chemistry, itself explainable by particles/force physics.
>> (And I agree with them on this).
>
> Btw, have you seen this?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makaJpLvbow

I did not, but I saw this one, which looks to belong to the same family, you
might like it, but there is no sound/music until 4:07 (the there is good
music!):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr28DwXeyu0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr28DwXeyu0>

> I love that simulation for several reasons. Firstly because I was involved in
> ALife / Complex Systems, and it is of course exciting to see such
> "biological" behavior emerging from such simple rules. But also because it
> exposes a certain emptiness in the idea of "explanation". It is not hard to
> imagine that one day Wolfram will be successful, and will be able to produce
> a simple rule that allows for complexity of the level we observe in the "real
> world". At the same time, I do not really feel that things were explained at
> that point.

I agree. The (quantum or classical) cellular automata, despite quite
interesting and useful, is still physicalism, when used in metaphysics, even if
conceived in an immaterialist frame. To get the explanation, you need a theory
of consciousness, and an explanation of how the “computations” (made by the
cellular automata) makes this consciousness relatively stable.

I do think that G* provides a as complete as possible explanation of
consciousness (including why it cannot be completed) and as long as nature
obeys to the logic of the machine’s observable (like currently) I think it
would be premature to search for another explanation (which adds only
difficulties, up to now at least).

>> Then if they are metaphysical materialist, they will have to explain
>> psychology from biology, say, and usually they do believe that such an
>> explanation is possible (and of course, we know or should know that
>> this is impossible: but before judging this, it means that for a
>> materialist (who believes that matter cannot be explained entirely from
>> a simpler ontological assumption), if interested in the Mind-Body
>> problem, he has to develop a phenomenology of mind coherent with its
>> taking matter as primitive.
>
> I agree with you, but I think you use "psychology" in a different sense than
> they do. I think modern mainstream psychology is zombie psychology, in the
> sense that it discards the first person.

That was the case when I was young. A term like “consciousness” was taboo, and
most theoretical psychologist were behaviourists. Today, they are no more
behaviourist and they accept the existence of consciousness, but they often
limit themselves to the “easy” part of the problem, and some (but not all)
dismiss the “hard problem” (which is the antic mind-body problem) as either non
sensical or non answerable.

With Mechanism, the easy problem becomes not so easy, as it relies on some
implementation of a program, which relies on some statistically stable
computations, with a relative measure close to one, and well, G* solves that
problem, but is not trivial, and rather not well known, despite Gödel 1931 and
Löb 1955.

Thanks to G*, the hard problem of consciousness and matter is solved. I think.
A Mistry remains which is why we believe in numbers, but that problem is
entirely explained as being indeed necessarily not answerable, because we
cannot derive a Turing universal machinery from something which is not already
a universal Turing machinery.
We can explain the (natural) numbers from the finite set theory, or from the
combinators, or from any Turing universal machinery. In all case, we have to
assume a universal Turing machinery. Natural numbers + plus and times is just
the simpler one.

>> Similarly, a monist immaterialist (who assumes only immaterial
>> relations, of the type mind or of the type number, or whatever) has to
>> develop (extract, isolate, justify in a way or in another) a
>> phenomenology of matter, or of matter conscious appearances in its
>> theory of mind.
>> A dualist has a even harder task, as he will take both mind and matter
>> as primitive, and will have to derive a phenomenology of interactions
>> between both. Today, few (serious) people believe that this could be
>> meaningful.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> “materialism” is just naive physicalism: the idea that physics is the
>> fundamental science. This makes matter into a primitive thing, and the
>> theories will have to assume some primary physical elements, like
>> atomes, or now, particles, or strings, etc.
>>
>> Mechanism leads to a neutral monism, where neither matter, nor mind, is
>> taken as primitive, as they are explained (wrongly or correctly, we
>> might not it is wrong through new expriements)  from simpler
>> (elementary arithmetic without induction).
>
> Ok, so elementary arithmetic is taken as primitive.

Yes.
But any universal machinery would do the same job.

> I have no doubt that this is fruitful, but I wonder if it doesn't offer its
> own dead-ends.

It is complete for the ontology, and then all the phenomeloqies, from real
numbers to physics, is explained by the universal machine escaping the
infinitely many dead-ends which occurs “everywhere” in arithmetic, seen from
inside.
This is somehow literal true, as the modal logic of G entails that dead-ends
occur in all possible state. Now, the fits person (the soul) and even matter,
is based on []p & p, and/or the waker and stronger  []p & <>t, and []p & <>t &
p, are obtained from abstractions one self from the dead-ends (cul-sac world).

If you mean “conceptual dead ends”, you will need to elaborate. I don’t see
any, although it "strikes the eyes" in the materialist framework.

By “primitive” I mean what we feel that we have to assume. Something is
primitive if we cannot explained it by something simpler. Matter is not
primitive in Mechanism, because we have no choice: we have to explain it by a
statistic on dreams in arithmetic (where we are “truly living” somehow).

>> The beauty here (grin) is that fr the natural numbers, or more
>> generally, for the universal machinery/machines, we can prove in all
>> inductive extension of those machineries that they cannot be explained
>> by anything which is not a universal machineries itself, so the
>> numbers, with addition and multiplication and a bit of induction can
>> explained that they have to be primitive.
>>
>> A physicalist might say that the superstrings are Turing universal, so
>> we can take the super-strings as primitive, but then to explain
>> consciousness, if he assumed Mechanism, he will have to justify the
>> appearances of sperstrings from its primitive, and this will be very
>> confusing if he start from the strings for the starting (primitive)
>> universal machinery.
>> Physics is "machine independent”  (in the language of computer
>> scientist): it means that it does not depend on the choice of the phi_i
>> (the universal machinery).
>>
>> With mechanism, no universal machine can know which computations
>> support it, among an infinity of computations. It is even a priori a
>> non countable infinity, as the first person are determined by all
>> oracles. And any first person prediction, and thus any reading of any
>> experimental device, must be explained by a statistics on the first
>> person indeterminacy where the domain of “reconstitutions” is basically
>> the set of all true sigma_1 sentences, structured by the
>> self-referential relevant modes.
>>
>> An explanation is always a reduction of what we don’t understand (like
>> mind and matter)  to something that we do understand or at least can
>> accept as granted (like 0 + 0 = 0, 1 + 0 = 1, 2 + 0 = 2, … and others,
>> like 2 + 0 = 2 -> Ex(2+x = 2), etc ).
>>
>> Consciousness is explained by being an invariant indubitable truth
>> which is also non provable and non definable (without invoking some
>> notion of truth) that all machine discover when looking inward (which
>> is what G* proves, so that is proven by all (arithmetically sound)
>> universal machines, although in the conditional way, like “assuming I
>> am not wrong up to now then …, or assuming Mechanism, then …).
>
> Yes, but we could also be crazy.

Sure. With Mechanism, this is a theorem. If we are not crazy (~[]f) we could be
crazy (<>[]f).

But you cannot use this in metaphysics, and even less in physics, which is
based on []p & <>t by construction.

To use “we are crazy” as an explanation would be like a self-conspiracy theory.

> We ourselves cannot escape Gödel.

Probably so with Mechanism, and indeed G* (which axiomatise incompleteness) is
the canonical theology of all universal platonism machine (platonism means here
simply that they accept the validity of the excluded middle principle for the
closed proposition on the natural numbers or digital machines).

> Which I think is a beautiful thing, but I am in an agnostic mood. In other
> words, I think that you place some "faith" in the natural numbers. No?

Not really.
I would if I claimed that mechanism is true, but that is not my job.
I would if I meet a doctor that I can trust so much as telling him “yes”.  We
are far from this …

I say that mechanism requires faith, but that does not mean that I have that
faith, and even if I would, I would not make it public.

Now, I can say that I am pretty sure that 2+2=4, or even that 4 = the cubic
root of 20 minus the square root of 392, added to the cubic root of 20 plus the
square root of 392, which is far more difficult to prove (yet I believe in it).

>> Mechanism is the assumption that this invariant is also invariant for
>> any relative digital functional substitution  made at *some* level (it
>> is a self-finitist local and relative assumption).
>>

>>> Does there have to be any X such that "primitive X" is true? This is a real
>>> question, not a rhetorical one.
>>
>> You will fall in Brent’s virtuous circle (still a bit vicious to me).
>
> I think that Brent is more optimistic than me. I don't think that creating
> real AI will explain consciousness,

Indeed. AsMinski once said, the conscious machine will be as much confused on
this complex topic than we are.

> even though I am interested in the problem of creating real AI. My circle is
> totally vicious.

The creation of AI is a natural phenomenon. It will explains a lot of things in
psychology, but can hardly tackle the ontological questions.

It isa bit like the recursion theorem of Kleene. It explains self-reproduction,
self-regeneration, embryology, but cannot explain consciousness. For this a
reference to some notion of Truth is needed (even if just the arithmetical
truth, or even just the sigma_1 arithmetical truth. There are some subtleties
here that is belong the scope of this post :)

To sum up:

For the corona beer: moderation.
For the corona G* \ G: no moderation!
For the corona virus: be careful (of the virus and of the humans …).

Best,

Bruno