People working in this field wrongly think that a primitive form of biology can work with only simple chemical compounds and that you can extend biology this way to the very beginning. This idea has been rigorously disproved theoretically and also the lack of experimental and observational evidence for a more primitive biology demonstrates this. Why are people pursuing this if it doesn't work? This is because of the argument that that sufficiently early in the universe there were only simple molecules and it is (wrongly) thought that the only way one can get to very large and complex organic molecules is via biological processes.

Saibal

On 21-01-2021 00:52, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:
For Chemistry, specifically biochemistry, we still cannot after 70
years(?) go beyond the Stanley Miller-Harold Urey experiment to see if
the can run a chemical process that starts with elements and leads to
even simple life. I am not asserting religion here, but what have we
missed? This is worse than nuclear fusion's time-lag, or Waiting for
Godot.

-----Original Message-----
From: smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, Jan 20, 2021 12:32 am
Subject: Re: Evolution 2.0 Prize - $10 million

That's an interesting paper! Note that the theoretical physicist Paul
Davies is the one who took the initiative to set up this prize and he
is
strong skeptic against all current approaches in prebiotic chemistry.
I've read the work of his research group (Paul Davies and Sara
Walker),
their no-go arguments are quite strong, but they don't propose
solutions
that I find all that attractive. That led me to do my own work in this

field.

Saibal