On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 3:15 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 2:39 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Forget BF Skinner, this is more general than consciousness or
>>> behavior. If you want to explain Y at the most fundamental level from first
>>> principles you can't start with "X produces Y'' and then use X as part of
>>> your explanation of Y.
>>>

>> *> OK, I want to explain consciousness from first principles, so Y =
>> consciousness. What is X?  *
>>

> Something that shows up on a brain scan machine according to you.

You're obfuscating. I was pretty clear that I was talking about peoples'
reports of their own subjective experience, but you clipped that out and
made it seem otherwise. Maybe you did that because your whole edifice
crumbles if you admit that testimony of experience constitutes facts about
consciousness.

> *> I'm interested in a theory of consciousness that can tell me, among
>> other things, how it is that we have conscious experiences when we dream.
>> Don't you wonder about that?*
>>

> I am far more interested in understanding the mental activity of a person when
> he's awake then when he's asleep.

We're talking about consciousness, not merely "mental activity".
Regardless, you have every right to be incurious about matters like these.
The mystery is why you involve yourself in conversations you have no
interest in.

> *> I'm very curious about how intelligence works too. *
>>

> Glad to hear it, but there's 10 times or 20 times more verbiage about
> consciousness than intelligence on this list.

Nobody's forcing you to read it.

Terren