On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:08 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 3:50 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *> testimony of experience constitutes facts about consciousness.*
>

> Sure I agree, provided you first accept that consciousness is the
> inevitable byproduct of intelligence

I hope the irony is not lost on anyone that you're insisting on your theory
of consciousness to make your case that theories of consciousness are a
waste of time.

I don't think it's necessary to accept that in order to make use of
testimony by a thousand different people in an experiment who all say:
"whatever you're doing, it's weird, I am smelling gasoline".

>>> person when he's awake then when he's asleep.
>>>

>> *> We're talking about consciousness, not merely "mental activity". *
>>

> And as I mentioned in a previous post, if consciousness is NOT the
> inevitable byproduct of intelligence then when we're talking about
> consciousness we don't even know if we're talking about the same thing.

If you want to get pedantic you can say we don't know if we're talking
about the same thing even if we do accept consciousness as the inevitable
byproduct of intelligence. So that heuristic isn't helpful. Again, if
someone claims to be in pain, then that's a fact we can use, even if the
character of that pain isn't knowable publicly. Ditto for seeing red, or
any other claim about qualia.

Terren