On 4/28/2021 9:42 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 8:15 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    On 4/28/2021 4:40 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything
    List <everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        On 4/28/2021 3:17 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:

        On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:51 PM John Clark
        <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Terren Suydam
            <terren.suy...@gmail.com
            <mailto:terren.suy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                        />>> testimony of experience constitutes
                        facts about consciousness./

                    >> Sure I agree, provided you firstaccept that
                    consciousness is the inevitable byproduct of
                    intelligence

                /> I hope the irony is not lost on anyone that
                you're insisting on your theory of consciousness to
                make your case that theories of consciousness are a
                waste of time./

            If you believe in Darwinian evolution and if you believe
            you are consciousthen given that evolution can't select
            for what it can't see and natural selection can see
            intelligent behavior but it can't see consciousness, can
            you give me an explanation of how evolution managed to
            produce a conscious being such as yourself if
            intelligence is not the inevitable byproduct of
            intelligence?

        It's not an inevitable byproduct of intelligence if
        consciousness is an epiphenomenon. As you like to say,
        consciousness may just be how data feels as it's being
        processed. If so, that doesn't imply anything about
        intelligence per se, beyond the minimum intelligence
        required to process data at all... the simplest example
        being a thermostat.

        That said, do you agree that testimony of experience
        constitutes facts about consciousness?

        It wouldn't if it were just random, like plucking passages
        out of novels.  We only take it as evidence of consciousness
        because there are consistent patterns of correlation with
        what each of us experiences.  If every time you pointed to a
        flower you said "red", regardless of the flower's color, a
        child would learn that "red" meant a flower and his reporting
        when he saw red wouldn't be testimony to the experience of
        red.  So the usefulness of reports already depends on
        physical patterns in the world. Something I've been telling
        Bruno...physics is necessary to consciousness.

        Brent

    I agree with everything you said there, but all you're saying is
    that intersubjective reality must be consistent to make sense of
    other peoples' utterances. OK, but if it weren't, we wouldn't be
    here talking about anything. None of this would be possible.

    Which is why it's a fool's errand to say we need to explain
    qualia.  If we can make an AI that responds to world the way we
    to, that's all there is to saying it has the same qualia.

I don't think either of those claims follows. We need to explain suffering if we hope to make sense of how to treat AIs. If it were only about redness I'd agree. But creating entities whose existence is akin to being in hell is immoral. And we should know if we're doing that.

John McCarthy wrote a paper in the '50s warning about the possibility of accidentally making a conscious AI and unknowingly treating it unethically.  But I don't see the difference from any other qualia, we can only judge by behavior.  In fact this whole thread started by JKC considering AI pain, which he defined in terms of behavior.

To your second point, I think you're too quick to make an equivalence between an AI's responses and their subjective experience. You sound like John Clark - the only thing that matters is behavior.

Behavior includes reports. What else would you suggest we go on?

Bent