On 6/19/2021 3:20 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 5:57 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    > /What I think is missing in the JKC's idea that intelligence
    is//interesting and understandable but consciousness isn't, is
    that he//leaves out values.  Intelligence is define in terms of
    achieving goals. /[...] /the//part we commonly call 'wisdom' when
    it works out) is how conflictingvalues are resolved./

But there is nothing unique in the human ability to do that, computers do that sort of thing all the time. Often there are two values that affect the rate of a process, one increases the rate and the other decreases it, the relationship between the two can be quite complex so it's not at all obvious which will predominate and what the ultima fate of the process will be, but a computer can calculate it.

I didn't say it was something only a human does.  I just pointed out that it is more (or less) than just intelligence.  It's like consulting an oracle.  The oracle may be very intelligent and able to tell you how to accomplish anything, but be of no help at all in making a decision if you don't know what value to place on outcomes.  Certain values are built in by evolution, values related to reproducing mostly.  There's nothing "intelligent" about having them, but intelligence has no function without values.

Brent

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>

kdf

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3ESeioZj53B8WGsQBhLfowRvC2MQyF0Qcaue7d4fx%2BoQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3ESeioZj53B8WGsQBhLfowRvC2MQyF0Qcaue7d4fx%2BoQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.