> On 19 Jun 2021, at 02:18, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I'm most with Dennett.  I see consciousness as having several different
> levels, which are also different levels of self-reference.

Different modes, yes (“level” is already used to describe the Doctor(s coding
description of my brain).

The 8 main modes are given by

[]p (which gives two modes as they split on proof/truth)
[]p & p
[]p & <>t (idem)
[]p & <>t & p (idem)

P is for any partial computable proposition (sigma_1)
[]p is for Gödel’s beweisbar predicate.<>p abbreviates ~[]~p.

> At the lowest level even bacteria recognize (in the functional/operational
> sense) a distinction between "me" and "everything else".  A little above
> that, some that are motile also sense chemical gradients and can move toward
> food.  So they distinguish "better else" from "worse else".  At a higher
> level, animals and plants with sensors know more about their surroundings.
> Animals know a certain amount of geometry and are aware of their place in the
> world.  How close or far things are.  Some animals, mostly those with eyes,
> employ foresight and planning in which they forsee outcomes for themselves.
> They can think of themselves in relation to other animals.  More advanced
> social animals are aware of their social status.  Humans, perhaps thru the
> medium of language, have a theory of mind, i.e. they can think about what
> other people think and attribute agency to them (and to other things) as part
> of their planning.  The conscious part of all this awareness is essentially
> that which is processed as language and image; ultimately only a small part.

All universal machine believing in enough induction axiom can reason as fully
as logically possible about themselves, and they all converge toward the same
theology, as far as they remain arithmetically sound. The virtual body (third
person self-reference) propositional logics are given given by G1 and G1*, the
soul (the one conscious) is given by S4Grz1, the immediate sensation’s logic
(qualia) is given by Z1* (the true components of the logic of []p & <>t & p.

Now I do think that much more animal have that self-consciousness level, but
can hardly told us as they lack the language. Of course here I am speculating.

Bruno