On 4/25/2022 6:06 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

        >> The only reason we think the gravitational constant does not
        change is because when we measure the potential gravitational
        energy in something today against a standard calibration
        energy we find that we get the same number of energy units
        that we got yesterday when we measured the potential
        gravitational energy it was in against a standard calibration
        energy.

    /> Sure, a spring balance needs to be calibrated against some
    standard mass. But we do not calibrate every day. Once the scale
    is set, we assume that the spring constant or whatever remains the
    same, so that recalibration is not necessary./

You're right, it's not necessarybecauseas long as the test mass and the mass standard decrease by an equal percentage you're always gonna get the same result and you'll never notice that anything has changed.

    /> So if all energies (including mass) drop by 90%, we will be
    able to detect this as long as the spring constant does not also
    change by this amount. Springs tend to rely on the
    electromagnetic properties of metals, and these will not
    change just because we measure a spin component in the next room./

IfMany Worlds is correct then of course thespring constant will change because the world will split due to ANY measurement, and the absolute non-relative amount of energy of EVERY type will decrease.

    /> I used a spring balance to compare a mass against the
    gravitational field, where I assumed that Newton's constant does
    not change on a spin measurement. If all energies (and masses)
    drop by 50% in each branch of the spin measurement, then the mass
    of the earth decreases by 50%, and the local acceleration due to
    gravity, g, also drops by 50%. Now consider a simple pendulum: the
    period of swing is T = 2*pi*sqr(L/g), where L is the length of the
    pendulum. If g drops by 50%/,[...]

But g does NOT drop by 50% and I never said it did, I said the gravitational potential energy drops by 50%, and that will happen if the mass/energy of a gravitationally bound system drops by 50% even if g remains constant. If yesterday I measured the mass/energy of a pendulum and of the entire earth against an energy standard and I measure those things again today against today's energy standard, and if the mass/energy of the pendulum and the earth and today's energy standard have all decreased by 50%, then I will get the same measured value that I got yesterday even if g really is the same as it was yesterday.

If all mass were scaled down by the same factor the gravitational interactions, like orbits and pendulums, would seem unchanged.  But what about the natural frequency of spring-mass systems?  Halving the mass while the EM forces between molecules of the spring stay the same means the frequency will go up.   So must all interaction constants change to save the appearance?

Brent

And yes the force that the earth is pulling down on that pendulum would only be half as strong as it was yesterday, HOWEVER  the inertia (which is proportional to the mass/energy) of the pendulum would only be half as much as it was yesterday, so the two changes with cancel out and the pendulum would fall with the same acceleration that it did yesterday, and the period of its swing would be the same too.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>

maq
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0%3DQDjx1KQBSv823YFAVEHhGLdd%3DLWXTtnnKv-CJgJC%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0%3DQDjx1KQBSv823YFAVEHhGLdd%3DLWXTtnnKv-CJgJC%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.