On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> Everett's theory does not attach a probability to branches -- it just
> says that they all happen. And that is the biggest failure of Everett's
> theory*

Now Bruce, we both know if probability didn't enter into Everett's idea
then his PhD thesis would *NOT* have been accepted, not in a million years,
and physicists would certainly not still be studying his thesis today, 65
years after it was written. Probability to Everett is just what you'd
expect it to be, the square of the absolute value of the wave function, and
if you multiply that term by the energy in each branch you will get the
total energy in the entire Multiverse. And if the energy in each branch is
finite (which may or may not be true, nobody knows) then the energy in the
entire Multiverse must also be finite, even though it has an infinite
number of branches, because all the terms (a.k.a. probabilities) add up to
1.

>> If there are probabilities of results that implies that* SOMETIMES* a
>> specific thing happens and *SOMETIMES* that exact same specific thing
>> doesn't.
>>

> *> Everett says that everything that can happen always happens,*

Not exactly. Everett says everything that can happen does happen, not that
it always happens. And yes those 2 statements would seem to be
contradictory if the Multiverse did not exist, but Everett says it does.

> *> so there can be no applicable notion of probability in that theory.*

No. There may be an infinite number of branches in the Multiverse but only
a *FINITE* number of branches contain beings that are so similar to each
other that they essentially have the same conscious experience and so could
reasonably be said to be Bruce Kellett. And so there will be far far more
Bruce Kelletts who see a flipped coin land heads than see a flipped coin
land on its edge. And thus if pre-flip Bruce Kellett made a bet he would be
wise to place his money on "heads" not "edge" because that way there would
be a greater (finite) number of Bruce Kellett winners than the (also
finite) number of Bruce Kellett losers. And that's why human beings have
always found probability to be an extremely useful idea.

ilI