On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 8:26 AM Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.net>
wrote:

*> Well, this is Machine Learning 101. If you train a model, it will always
> perform better*

Well yes, if a machine couldn't learn then it wouldn't be intelligent!

>> When human beings take an IQ test that is almost certainly NOT the first
>> test they've ever had, and like GPT-4 humans are also trained on a huge
>> amount of data, without it neither you nor GPT-4 would even know how to
>> read the questions.
>

> *> Yes, but GPT-4 and human brains are very different things.*

They are similar in some ways, they both process information, and they are
different in other ways, one processes information using carbon chemistry
and the other processes information using silicon electronics.

*> GPT-4 has superhuman memory capabilities*

Yes

> *> and almost certainly subhuman reasoning capabilities.*

If so I've seen no evidence of it, I have however seen evidence that the
opposite is true.

> *> I bet that it would take many human lifetimes to actually read the
> entire training datatset of GPT-4.*

I'm sure that's true. Am I supposed to think less of  GPT-4 because of
that?

*Again, it is important to understand what exactly GPT-4 is doing. It is
> certainly impressive, but it is not the same thing as a human being taking
> an IQ test,*

It's the same thing if you treat both humans and machines as black boxes
and concentrate on what they do. Like it or not that's the only way we can
deal  with our fellow human beings that we encounter in everyday life, we
have no way of knowing what's going on inside their head, all we can do is
observe their behavior. Maybe Einstein was an idiot but he just had an
ability to push a pen in such a way that he produced brilliant physics
papers, but nobody believes that; instead we would say if somebody could
write physics papers that were as brilliant as Einstein's then that person
would be as smart as Einstein.

It's interesting that until a few years ago the Turing Test was not very
controversial because most thought it would be centuries before a machine
could pass it, and many proclaimed a machine would never be able to pass
it, but now that a machine has indeed passed it they say the Turing Test is
not important, even though they personally still use the Turing Test a 1000
times a day whenever they judge the conscious state of one of their fellow
human beings. Actually if GPT-4 really wanted to fool somebody into
thinking it was a human being it would have to dumb itself down.

h5z

8bm