From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: spudboy...@aol.com
Cc: everything-list@googlegroups.com <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Mar 17, 2023 1:34 pm
Subject: Re: 4 Tests Reveal Bing (GPT 4) ≈ 114 IQ (last test is nuts)

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 6:37 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> I took me under 10 min to locate a worthy article submitted for JC's
> criticisms.

I'll bet it took you less than 10 seconds, you popped two or three buzzwords
into Google  and then you picked the first one that came up and sent it to the
list without reading a word of it. You didn't miss much, it didn't increase my
understanding of consciousness one bit, but you claim the article's insights
brought us "much closer to understanding human consciousness" , well that part
must've been written in invisible ink because I sure didn't see it.

> Here tis [drum roll]
> What Neuroscientists Think, and Don't Think, About Consciousness - PubMed
> (nih.gov)

 Unlike you I did  read the article, or at least I read the abstract, and based
on that I flat out refuse  to waste my time by reading the entire worthless
thing, it is after all the purpose of abstracts.

> The approach the majority of neuroscientists take to the question of how
> consciousness is generated, it is probably fair to say, is to ignore it

Yes it is fair to say that a majority of neuroscientists ignore consciousness
and they do so because it's the rational thing to do, it would be silly to
divert finite mental resources from fantastically productive intelligence
research, especially now when so many dramatic discoveries are being made in
that area,  to a moribund field like consciousness research that has not
advanced one nanometer in the last thousand years and will not do any better in
the next thousand.

> Neuroscience has furnished evidence that neurons are fundamental to
> consciousness;

And how did neuroscientists figure that out? By observing that when neurons
behave in a certain way organisms behave in a certain way and they guess, I
repeat they guess, that when organisms behave in that certain way then their
consciousness must be  in a certain state. I personally think that is a good
guess, it's the same guess we make when we  determine that  our fellow human
beings are not conscious when they are sleeping or under anesthesia or dead.
And then the author starts babbling about

> staggeringly complex system of electromagnetic field"

A keen grasp of the obvious. Everything except neutrinos and Dark matter
Interacts with the electromagnetic field.

> The EM field literally manifests the computations, or signaling, or
> information processing/activities performed

Both computers and neurons produce electromagnetic fields. So what? What does
that have to do with consciousness? The author never says, he just maintains
that somehow electromagnetic fields produce consciousness and of course he
provides no evidence to support his belief.
txew