On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 03:52:46PM -0500, John Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 3:38 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> * > Who wrote this?  you, JC?*
> >

> No, Scott Alexander did, he's a pretty smart guy but I think he got some
> things wrong. I did write this in the comments section:
(...)
> As for the fear of paperclip maximizers, I think that's kind of silly. It
> assumes the possibility of an intelligent entity having an absolutely fixed
> goal they can never change, but such a thing is impossible. In the 1930s
> Kurt Gödel prove that there are some things that are true but have no proof
> and Alan Turing proved that there is no way to know for certain if a given
> task is even possible. For example, is it possible to prove or disprove
> that every even number greater than two is the sum of two prime numbers?
> Nobody knows. If an intelligent being was able to have goals that could
> never change it would soon be caught in an infinite loop because sooner or
> later it would attempt a task that was impossible, that's why Evolution
> invented the very important emotion of boredom.   Certainly human beings
> don't have fix goals, not even the goal of self preservation, and I don't
> see how an AI could either."

There are intelligent beings who suffer from one mania or another and
never get bored. I can hear about them in the news, like, during last
quarter of century and more...

Also, I think people put too much expectation into the concept of
paperclip maximizer. It does not have to make research. It does not
have to travel around the Galaxy. All it has to do is being able to
outperform certain number of people in this and this short time,
before they can find out how to switch it off. It then converts the
rest of the planetary surface and can as well stop, or go deep and
stop, kind of, after meeting with melted core inside Earth.

As such, PCM can be made by some kind of intelligent maniac, in her
cellar, during this or next century. Without much problem or
difficulty. Possibly supported by Chad Geppetto in her ear. In
essence, it is no different than being able to produce a weapon.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **