From: Dupler, Craig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 16 January 2003 01:34
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: The SEC is killing me.

This will not help you with your SEC problem.  It's just a musing and is
merely to suggest that no audit technique is fool proof.  I think that any
system that you can design, a clever person can get around.

Let me suggest a scenario from back in the days when I was working on virus
delivery techniques and counter measures.  The key to this particular
"almost impossible to detect" nefarious message delivery technique would be
to send a message to an external mailbox that had a client running against
it with in-box rules enabled.  The client could parse the message and
execute a script or even an external program that would generate another
message, which could be sent to any smtp address (or in the case of a virus,
do nefarious things on  its own local network).  So let's say I send a one
word message to my home mailbox that says "hi."  That could trigger a script
that sends a message to tell someone to sell.  Another script triggered by
"dinner tonight" could trigger a script that generates the buy message.
You get the idea.  The offending message itself can be as simple or complex
but apparently harmless cipher that you could imagine.  It could even be
embedded in a pattern that looks like I'm sending a daily (or better yet,
apparently random and occasional) note commenting on tonight's menu, with an
"if message text contains" filter at the other end.  A hindered word note
that contained the phrase "rare steak" could be the trigger.  The "to"
address is not that of the ultimate recipient, and the instruction in a form
that you could detect is beyond the reach of your archives and searches.
There reality is, that you simply cannot filter for this sort of thing in
your archives.  You can find someone that is being stupid or careless, but
not someone that is cunning and deliberate.

The extent to which variations on this technique can be used is frightening.
Consider what a batch file on a DOS machine could do, in terms of generating
an Assembly language program by having VB Script simply write stings from an
Excel or Word document to a text file.  The VB Script does not even have to
travel with the Office document, but can simply be running on the machine on
the receiving end.  Such a trigger can be hidden behind layer upon layer of
isolating techniques.  The initial trigger instruction does not have to be
sent via SMTP.  A FAX to something like a SatisFAXtion modem or a call to an
IVR system listening for a specific DMTF sequence that would not be recorded
by your phone system can do it.  A web site can do it.  Web mail to your
home smtp address can do it.  A cellular call . . .  You get the idea.
Every link will leave some tracks, but those tracks can be incomplete and
look very harmless.

Back in the 80's before Microsoft Office became the dominant office suite,
there was a product called "Smartware" by a small company in Lenexa, Kansas
that was later purchased by Informix and destroyed.  Smartware had the
equivalent of VBA in all of its modules, and it had a communications module.
The second version of the package even had PEEK and POKE instructions.
Imagine what you could do with that today in and administrative security
context on a Win2K machine in an Internet world.

Nedry (a transposition of "nerdy") is still out there.