Trying to be thorough but then it gets long - sorry. I hope I have included
all the information needed. And not too much unnecessary info.

I have an on-the-lan user (Outlook XP on Windows 2000 all current hotfixes
and service packs as of yesterday morning anyway, Exchange 5.5 SP3+ some
hotfixes) who is getting the "Requesting data from the Microsoft Exchange
server" message and long delays opening or deleting a message etc.
Originally over 3 minutes to delete a single message I got it down some with
the RPC binding order but not enough.  Everything, contacts, calendar, items
in public folders, items in his other folders created at the same level as
the inbox all behave perfectly normally (ie fast). It seems to be just his
inbox. None of the 4 articles (290003, 299485, 293650, 328880) I got
searching for "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange
Server" or the zero articles from searching for "Requesting data from the
Microsoft Exchange Server" seemed to apply[1].

There are no errors in the error logs of either his machine or either of the
Exchange servers (neither new nor old). The error message always refers to
the new server.

It's not network related and although he was running Cloudmark anti-spam and
auto-archiving, turning them off did not help[2]. I have already tried the
reg change to reorder the Exchange Provider RPC binding order and that may
have helped a bit but not enough. It is down to under 60 seconds but over
about 20 to delete a message now. Still not good enough. Using an Outlook
2000 client on a different box still shows an abnormal delay although less
of one than Outlook XP so I believe the root cause to be unrelated to the
client, freely conceding that I could easily be wrong[3].

When I added my account as a user on his mailbox and tried to open it with
my Outlook 2000 as an additional mailbox I was able to add the mailboxes
just fine but when I tried to open either one I got an error message "Unable
to expand the folder." Which did not give me any articles when I searched
the MS KB site for it. Which doesn't seem right but I even made sure I
wasn't limiting it to Exchange only and still no joy. There were no
differences in permissions between his mailboxes that wouldn't open and
those of another user I tested whose mailbox I had no trouble adding and
opening. I do not know if this is a related problem or a different one.

His mailbox that is slow contains 26,000 items for a total usage of
211,000K. His secondary mailbox (for the other internet domain) that opens
fine contains 21,500 items for a total usage of 325,000K. Mine is 4xx,000K
and has 115,000K items and I do not have problems so I don't think that is
it either. There is plenty of free space in the store.

I looked over the command line switches documented in article 296192 but I
don't see anything there that looks likely to help. I looked over the fixes
in SP4 for Exchange 5.5 and I didn't see anything there although, I will
apply that this weekend. I am at a loss for where to look next. Other than
to look at isinteg checks and possibly exmerging his box out and in again.
Which scares the bejeebers out of me. Since I have completed all but
deleting the old Exchange server from the site I thought I should perhaps do
that first but if that were the root cause it should affect more than just
the one user should it not?

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Ronni

[1] He is on the lan not over VPN on DSL so 290003 is out. I am in the
process of moving to a new Exchange 5.5 server but his mailboxes and all the
public folders are already on the new server and the server the message
claims is the problem is the new server so I think that lets 299485 out.
293650 tells me how to remove the message but what I want to do is remove
the delay. 328880 refers to an Exchange 2000/2003 server which this
obviously is not.

[2]  He was running Cloudmark (anti-spam add-in) and had recently started
auto-archiving. I had him stop the auto-archiving for now and stop the
cloudmark from automatically checking his inbox. I think the best
improvement was the RPC binding order and the others made little difference
but he is impatient and would not try things one at a time. He had been on a
gigabit switch and moved a few weeks ago back to a 10/100 switch but
checking the switch didn't show any issues and I had him switch back and it
did not help.

[3] I put Outlook 2000 on a new box and had him log in on it. There opening
his mailbox takes about 40 seconds and deleting the Welcome to Outlook 2000
message took about 8 seconds. That seems like at least 7 seconds too long to
me. Also, he has two mailboxes (one for a different internet domain that we
also accept mail for here) that he accesses independently (different icons
on his desktop for the different profiles). If he opens his main one for the
company domain (as in internet) he has the problem accessing his inbox. He
has the company mailbox opening as an added mailbox when he uses the
secondary profile. If he uses the secondary profile mailbox he sees delays
only when he is actually trying to access the inbox of the company mailbox.