> The drakautoinst method I'm imagining would avoid all the issues and (most
> of the) complications involved with using urpmi (or apt-get or similiar
> program) to "upgrade" an installation. In terms of package management the

I've been trying that method more or less with success for many
different dist upgrades. The idea is to pop in a new distro CD (I
first tried it with Red Hat, despite warnings), cd to the new RPMS
directory, and then do 'rpm -Uvh *'. Grabs everything off of the CD
that you already have and upgrades it. That's the way it's intended to
work, but it doesn't always work that way.

There are two scenarios where I don't think urpmi would be smart
enough to work around:

* situatinos where new 'essential' packages / software are put on the
  distribution. If you've not installed it before, you'll miss it
  unless warned about it beforehand.

* situatiouns where one RPM is broken up into two or more separate
  RPMs - for instance gcc which has fractured into maybe 8 separate
  RPMs. It might be able to see that foo-common-2.xx.i586.rpm now
  needs foo-misc-2.xx.i586.rpm but the RPM yuo have is just
  foo-2.xx.i586.rpm.

Important system upgrades - like drakwheeze or whatever MDK comes up
with could be part of overall MCC (Mandrake Control Center)
dependencies that basically say 'if x upgrades this, he needs
drakwheeze as well'. Otherwise it won't get installed.