On Sunday 15 June 2003 11:28 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 07:40, stefmit wrote:
>
> > > no different than what is done with Apache... the compile-from-source
> > > package puts everything related to foobar in /usr/local/foobar because
> > > that's where it is expected. The came-with-the-OS package (or contrib
> > > in this case) puts all configuration in /etc, all logs in /var, all
> > > libraries in /usr/lib, etc. That's the way distros are. If you don't
> > > want to do it that way, then download the source from nagios.org and
> > > configure it, then make rpm.
> >
> > Sure - wish you were right ... you probably missed the other part of the
> > email: I WANTED to use nagios from the source (i.e. 1.1), as it was fixed
> > for a couple of things. But the www part won't install ... guess why?
> > Because of some libraries problems, which ... and here I can start all
> > over again with my original email ...
>
> You were probably missing gd-devel -- there's some weirdness there with
> Mandrake's RPM-naming scheme (foobar1-0.3.i586.rpm vs.
> foobar-1.0.3.i586.rpm).

And ...?!? Some weirdness is what I discovered throughout - nothing new there.

> > I guess the question still is: when you NEED a specific library, and "ln
> > -s" -ing with existing one won't work, WHAT are you doing?

> what are you doing? Installing from RPM or installing from source? If
> installing from source, having the binary library available as any name
> doesn't do you diddly, you have to have the headers from the -devel rpm.
> If installing from RPM and having dependencies problem, realize that the
> rpm tool doesn't look at your filesystem, it looks in its database.
> Hence the --nodeps I recommended earlier -- you've already made things
> so that they ought to work, so you need to override the old information
> in the rpm database.

Both! For example: #urpmi --allow-nodeps qtopia_bla_bla installs fine ... but
won't run! Having it installed only was not the final objective, though. I
would have liked to use it.

As someone else pointed out earlier (find libraries in other programs, and
install those, in the hope of getting the missing libs), I found it faster
this time to run W2K in VMWare (which was there for other reasons - i.e.
quicken), and run qtopia within. The d**n thing runs flawlessly inside
windows, so I got that one "fixed". Now I have to try nagios 1.1 the same
way, and I could potentially end up with an "awesome" MDK9.1, running only
VMWare, with W2K inside, running all the programs MDK can't run ... am I
missing something here ;) ?!?

All in all - I remember the days of Slackware or even Redhat, four-five years
ago , when every freaking thing I tried could run, and libraries of different
versions could live alongside each other. Now they won't even install ;(

Thanks for all the good hints, though ...
Stef