Fine.  Do they all have root password available so they can do updates,
reconfigure, build and install?  These are things that are essentially
handfed to windoze users.  You click on an install button and app X is
installed.  Done.  On linux this requires root.  Simple enough if you are
used to this but it is just another layer of complexity if you are a doze
user.

Sure, this admin is everyone thing is one of the primary weaknesses of doze
wrt viruses, worms, and hackers, but it is easier to work with.

My father can install a CD in his doze computer and click "Install" without
problem.  There would be problems if I had to walk him through setting up a
root password (and remember it!), then a user password (remember it!).  OK
dad, setup your wireless connection.  On doze this is trivial.  On linux it
is a frickin pain in the ass (I do it, after a modicum of hair pulling but
then I know what I'm doing).  You download your tarball, untar it, read the
readme and install files.  HOPEFULLY you will simply need to do a ./configure
&& make && make install (as root) and the driver will be ready.  Now you just
have to either mess with ugly commands via iwpriv or ifconfig.  Depends on
your device.

OK, now setup spam filtering.  Hah!  Joe Blow can't handle it.  WE can because
we have generally been doing this for some time AND we have the time and
inclination to learn all of this.  Add in procmail (and the need to setup
postfix or similar.  Whew!  Complexity beyond anything people mess with in
doze).  Yes, linux is great and powerful.  I love it.  But I would never ever
be able to get my father, mother, wife to deal with all this.  And ya know,
you just can't always be there to deal with other people's computers all the
time.  My father doesn't live next door, he lives next state over.

Unless Joe/Jane Blow user has an expert somewhere, they are not equipped to
deal with linux.  It's just that simple.  And again, how do you explain to
them that they'll just have to give up the cool games if they go linux?  They
LOVE the games afterall.  OK, just reboot to winders.  Well, why not just
STAY in winders so you don't have to deal with the rebooting all the time?

I merely think that for MOST people at home, linux is not there yet.  For
people at work or at schools where there are admins to deal with all the
complexity of configuring and handling software install, it is perfectly
fine, but for most at home?  Nope.  Not yet.

--
Faith is the very antithesis of reason, injudiciousness a critical component
of spiritual devotion.