> In a message dated 4/21/05 5:14:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Recalling the millennium peace summit of 2000 in New York where
1100
> representatives from different faiths signed a document that there
> should be no bloodshed in the name of religions as they were
> different  routes to one God, he said, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger,
the
> Pope Benedict  XVI, held a press conference shortly thereafter at
the
> Vatican and  released a 36 page doctrine 'Dominus Jesus'.
>
> "The doctrine objected to  anyone trying to bring their religion at
> par with the Roman Catholic  Church and described it as crossing
> limits of tolerance. It said  non-Christians cannot get salvation
as
> they don't consider Jesus Christ as  the son of God and even non-
> Catholics would find it difficult to get  salvation as they don't
> consider the Pope as their  head",
>

> So what's new here? Hasn't the Christian religion whether  Catholic
or
> Protestant always said that Christianity is the only way to gain
salvation? "No man
> shall come to the Father except through the Son". You either
believe it or
> you don't. If you look at just about all religions you'll find
they have their
> exclusionary clauses as well.

***********

Nonsense. The Vedic tradition does not insist that anybody belong to
any particular sect, but emphasizes that it is gaining unlimited
awareness, which is the self of all, that is important, and that
unboundedness has nothing to do with sectarian identification.

Regarding what Jesus said, you have not understood this. The whole
thing he said was "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one
comes to the Father except through me.  If you really knew me, you
would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have
seen him." (John 14:6-7). Jesus is establishing His identity with
God, but not saying that others could not have that status -- the
disciples walked on the water along with Jesus, they healed the sick
and raised the dead, too, so Jesus was saying that everybody could
enjoy their Divine birthright, everybody was a much a son of God as
He was:

say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,'
and it will be moved;
and nothing will be impossible for you."