--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<no_reply@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Mainstream supports women having the choice about abortion and
> not
> > > legislating it, and he doesn't even know that that is his
opinion:

> > > Mainstream:
> > > physically preventing anyone from doing anything, so back off !
>>

> > > Welcome to the club mainstream.
> >
> > Um, to inject a little reality here... This is
> > too important an issue to let the pro-choice
> > side get cluttered up with absurdities. The anti-
> > choice side is already bad enough.
> >
> > Laws against abortion do not, of course, result
> > in physically preventing a woman from having an
> > abortion. They make it illegal *to perform* an
> > abortion, which means the crime, if discovered,
> > can be prosecuted *after the fact*.
> >
> > But the person who would be prosecuted is the
> > abortionist, not the woman.>>
>
> Point taken, but abortion can be gottn by anyone, anywhere,
anytime.
> With the Pope it is probably illegal in Italy and many Catholic
> countries, but there is plenty of abortion.
>
> Anyone, except the poor, can easily get an abortion. A law is
> discrimination against the poor and against poor regions of the
> country, and there are laws against discrimination.

True, but not my point. My point was that
laws against abortion don't physically
prevent women from getting them (see above),
contrary to what you claimed concerning
mainstream.

> > Laws against abortion do make getting one more
> > difficult, however, because fewer doctors will
> > be willing to risk prosecution for performing
> > them.
> >
> > Stick with your point that campaigns to make
> > abortion illegal should be ditched in favor of
> > campaigns to make unwanted pregnancies less
> > likely.
> >

> Laws against abortion do not make it more difficult.

Well, yes, they do make it more difficult to
obtain an abortion, for the reason I stated:
there will be fewer people willing to perform
them and risk being prosecuted.

> That is the whole point.
> This is the 21st century.
> This is NOT AMERICA.
> This place is called THE WORLD.
>
> There are even abortion pills, and there will be more and more
things
> like this in an age of science.
>
> You cannot stop it by laws.

Right.

> My point is that putting attention on making it a law draws energy
> away from more wholesome ways of education, support, and
intelligent
> discussion. Therefore those advocating laws against it are
complicit
> in killing babies every day, by drawing energy from the real
> solutions. And that is the hypocrisy of the anti-choice people.
They
> are only arguing for their ego and fundamentalist cult religions.

Yes, which is why I said above: "Stick with
your point that campaigns to make abortion
illegal should be ditched in favor of campaigns
to make unwanted pregnancies less likely."

Did you even read what I wrote?? Doesn't look
like it.