--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> About YS III.37 -
>
> Card: please note that the sutra in question is #37 not 38. All my
> translations are the same in the numbering sequence. You
apparently have
> an extra sutra in your edition, either by addition or bifurcation.

I know that. In Chip's translation

http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/Sanskrit-English.pdf

III 22 (etena shabdaadyantardhaanam uktam)

seems to be the "extra" suutra. Taimni also has that.

> YS III.37: te samaadhaav upasargaa vyutthaane siddhayaH
>

> "They (siddhi-s) are sub-flows away from samadhi but attainments in
> the emergent (waking) state"
>

> Te = they (from tad)
>
> Samaadhi = synthesis1 (sam + aa + dhaa,'to put'; lit.
> `putting together')
>
> Upasargaah = a suborning outflow2, obstacle (from upa `sub-` +
> the root [s.rj, `to emit or effuse';`an efflux')
>
> Vyuthaana = outward, external, emergent; here: active, waking state
>
> Siddhi = attainment (from sidh `to succeed, achieve,
> accomplish')
>

> Vyasa:
>
> They (praatibha and other siddhi-s.) are obstructions when they
arise in

The Sanskrit expression is 'te praatibhaadayaH' (praatibha +
aadayaH). The form 'aadayaH' is nominative plural from 'aadi',
which means 'beginning'. Thus, 'praatibhaadayaH' would literally
means 'praatibha-beginnings'. Used like that, 'aadi' or its
inflected forms (aadayaH, aadiSu, etc.) are Sanskrit equivalent to
'etc'. (When the word 'aadi' is in nominative singular, it's a bit
easier to grasp the idea of that expression, like in BS I 2:
janmaadyasya yataH < janma + aadi; asya yataH). The idea seems to be
that it refers to an enumeration, whose
first item is in this case 'praatibha'. Thus, I'm inclined to
think, that according to Vyaasa, the demonstrative pronoun 'te'
refers to the "list" in the previous suutra (36 or 37):

praatibha-shraavaNa....

IMO, it would be a bit illogical to mention 'praatibha' as
the first (aadi: ""beginner"") siddhi, because elsewhere in the III
book it appears in III 33 (34):

praatibhaad vaa sarvam

and the first siddhi mentioned in the III book is
'atiitaanaagatajñaanam' in III 16.

Unless 'praatibha' is thought to be some kind of "king" of siddhis.