Hey Turq,

Thanks for weighing in.  I've read your response a few times to see if
I can add more in response to T's interesting post, and I haven't
found more than a few scraps.  You really nailed it and thank you.  I
look forward to hearing T's take on this.  For starters, here is a
quote from you that made me smile like a Halloween pumpkin:

"Why then would an atheist be exempt from revelations?
I've met many an atheist who draws his or her inspiration
from nature, or from everyday life, and finds what he or
she sees there incredibly revelatory. Nature, or everyday
life is *enough* to inspire revelation in these folks;
they don't have to believe that there is some sentience
or intelligence "behind" nature, or "behind" everyday
life in order to draw inspiration and yes -- revelation
-- from them."

This is the best articulation of how I feel that I have ever read.
Thoreau got a boner from his grave!  One of the things that I used to
value about my religious beliefs was that the hugeness of it all
re-framed my life in context, it made me feel wonder.  When I dropped
out of the spiritual perspective I didn't know where I would get that
wonder buzz created by contemplating something so much bigger than me
that the pettiness of my everyday concerns were exposed.  It was Carl
Sagan's Cosmos series that restored that feeling to me.

I also got the same perspective enhancement from studying the known
history of man and from spending time contemplating the dinosaur's
complete domination of this planet for 250 million years.  It gave me
the same expansive buzz I used to get from finding a passage in one of
the Vedic scriptures that matched my experience in meditation.  I
don't need more than to see a picture of a reconstructed Triceratops
skeleton to get to that space in my brain where the endorphins flood
me with wonder and perspective.

Nature is enough on its own, and even what is known about the history
of life on earth is (for me) better than any description of the life
of the gods in the Vedic literature.  Explaining that we know that a
force or being made all this adds nothing to what is there already for me.

Concerning ethics.  T said: > > You may say so, and it was said. But I
ask you: Where is this > > kind of ethics or morale coming from?

It comes from our social contract that exists in many forms of social
animals.  Living together is part of our nature.  We have many
built-in dispositions for living with each other comfortably.
Religion has tried to codify this natural instinct, and men like the
U.S. founding fathers (among many others) have attempted to advance
this natural predisposition to an even higher level of ethics than
might arise naturally.  But the addition of a cosmic scorekeeper has
seemed to do nothing to constrain humans from acting like demons to
each other in history.  I may not go the Christopher Hitchins route
and blame religion for the evil in the world, but I will say it has
been a mixed bag.  It has helped and hurt man's ability to live together.

I hope mankind can step beyond religious entrenchment and take
responsibility for what kind of world we want to live in.  We need to
 drop the strong arm tactics of religion's absolute claims to ethics,
 and decide how we can advance our kindness in the actions or our
human institutions.

Turq's perspective of "a" verses "un" theism was thought provoking, as
was T's description of how his version of God differs from the
creator-God perspective.  This is an area where I am really benefiting
from this discussion and advancing my understanding.

T wrote:  > > In fact Advaita, which has been my starting point, and
still
> > is defining very much what I believe, a personal God is admitted,
> > as real as we are, but he is not a creator, as there is no
> > creation at all, the universe is just a projection, a reflection
> > within Maya, illussion.

This seems to me to be an unnecessary overlay on our experience but
you have to add the states of mind brought about by years of
meditation.  Because people in these traditions are steeped in an
understanding to go along with their experience, I don't believe that
this insight is "innocent." The states themselves are so abstract
although powerful, that they beg for explanation.  This is provided in
many cases by ancient scriptures and traditions.  I am not inclined to
believe that they had this all figured out way back when.  They have
added to human perspective and I accept their contribution to human
understanding, but I believe it is time for man to accept the
responsibility that we may be in a better position now to understand
what these states mean.

Pre-scientific man (pre-enlightenment) had less information about life
than we do today.  This is the opposite of the belief that in the past
there was a glorious society that understood enlightenment, I know.  I
am not saying that the scientific perspective is the only way to view
life.  I do believe that we need to invite it to the party because
it's methods help us get around some of our cognitive weak spots.

I see no evidence in the scriptures of any religion that leads me to
believe that they knew more than we can know today.  I do see a lot of
specific areas that were dead wrong in light of modern knowledge. A
scripture that described the life of Dinosaurs would be impressive,
but it is completely lacking in any creation myth story.  Instead we
get races of flying monkeys doing magical things. (wonderful if taken
as myth and not so much if you take MMY's perspective that this is
literal history)

I respect the people in this group who continue to develop their
consciousness with techniques and hope that some with good experiences
will someday be able to use those states for truly original thoughts,
rather than just confirming that the agrarian societies who produced
most scriptures of the world had it all figured out.  Sam Harris is
pursuing this line of thought and experience.

I have too much evidence of when humans made up the stories and
perspectives in scriptures to accept that they might be actually
divinely inspired.  I see them as part of a continuum of human
knowledge that is growing.  We know more today then back then.  That
doesn't mean we should just discount all the human knowledge contained
in ancient writings. Glorifying man's knowledge in the past evades our
responsibility in the present to look at past claims of knowledge
skeptically. I am not able to say that it is possible that the Bible
or Vedas are revealed scriptures from any version of God.  I firmly
belief they are human works of creativity, to be admired and studied,
but not to be fooled into thinking that we have as MMY said:  "A
manual for the human nervous system. (or was that Domash?)  We do not.
 What we have is a lot of work to do to integrate the knowledge of
different states of mind with our current knowledge of the brain, and
a hell of a lot of work to do.

High five to Turq an T for a chance to articulate my current
perspective and learn from yours. This is a valuable discussion for
me.  I hope other people will weigh in to show the edges of our
understandings that we are missing.