--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@>

> > > I don't know. So what?
> > >
> > > This is one of my all-time favorite jokes. One person asks
> > > the other: "What do you think is worse in our society today,
> > > the general level of ignorance, or rather the pervading
> > > disinterest."
> > > The other person answers: "I don't know, and I don't care."
> >
> > Ah, "ignorance."
> >
> > As opposed to...uh...what? "Knowledge?"
>
> Barry, could it be that you are just a bit over-interpreting?
> This is just a joke, its not invented by me, I am just retelling,
> translating from memory from German. Thats the problem I have
> currently with you: I am just saying something quite innocently,
> and all the red lights go on ... Its a joke! Can't you laugh?
> Didn't you say you prefer masters with a sense of humor? You
> are so much projecting at this point, that I find you useful
> exchange virtually impossible at the moment.

Um...Michael...did you miss that my reply *was*
a joke?

> If the question in the joke above had been
> asked of the Buddha, he might have replied
> the same way. Master Chao-chou might have
> replied (as he did to the question, 'Does
> a dog have Buddha-nature?'), "Mu."
>
> Both answers are really a way of saying,
> "Thank you for inviting me to play this odd
> game with you, but I'd rather not. I'm on
> my way to the beach volleyball tournament
> right now. Maybe some other time." (The
> Buddha was a big fan of beach volleyball.)

I was just having fun riffing on your joke.
Or did you think that I was serious about the
Buddha being a big fan of beach volleyball?

After riffing on the joke, as I am wont to do,
I just rapped a bit about the magic of still
being able to say "I don't know." It seems to
me that you may have heard something in that
rap...again...that wasn't there -- a criticism
of you.

> Maybe go out, have a life - I'll go jogging now.

Hope it helps.

Just in case it doesn't, here another joke for
you. I consider it a very Zen joke, one that makes
some very important spiritual points, but I'll warn
those who are offended by off-color language that
there might also be a little language in this joke
of that color:

A man is sitting and reading when his young son walks
up and stands right in front of him and says, "Dad, I
know what I want for my sixth birthday next week."

The man puts down his magazine and looks at the boy
and says, "What's that, son?"

"I want a tricycle, Dad. That red one we saw at
Woolworths yesterday."

The man looks at him long and hard and finally says,
"Son...is your dick long enough to touch your ass?"

The kid looks kinda shocked. He thinks about it for
a moment and then says, "No father, it isn't."

The man says, "Come back and ask again when it is,"
and goes back to his reading. The kid slinks away,
defeated.

Some years later, the father again sitting and reading
when his son walks up to him and says, "Dad, I'm going
to be twelve next week. And you know what I want? I
want that cool 10-speed racing bike I saw in the window
at the bike shop."

The father stops reading and looks at him and says,
"Son...I have just one question...is your dick long
enough to touch your ass?"

It's déja vu all over again. The boy, crestfallen, says,
"No Dad, it still isn't." "Well, come back and ask again
when it is."

Again the kid slinks away. But this time he's thinking
about it. And over the next few years, he quietly and
privately starts working out. He starts light, just
pulling on the little sucker as often as he can. But
in time, he's tying 25-pound weights to it and letting
it dangle in the breeze. He's doing curls with it. And
one day, he looks in the mirror and practices what has
now become a daily ritual for him, and looks up,
surprised. He smiles at himself in the mirror and goes
downstairs to find his father.

Dad's still sitting there, still reading. The young man
waits patiently and respectfully for him to finish. At
last the father says, "What can I do for you, son?"

"Dad, I'm going to be eighteen next week. I'll get my
driver's license and everything. And you know how we've
been talking about me getting a car of my own? Well,
that's what I want for my birthday, Dad...a car."

The father stares at him through the 3D glasses for
almost a full minute. Finally, he says, "Well, son...
you know the question...is your dick long enough to
touch your ass?"

The young man straightens himself and says proudly,
"Yeah, Dad...it finally is."

"That's great, son," says the father, "So go fuck
yourself."

[ Now comes the part where I segue from the joke to
talking about something else, something spiritual
and, in my mind, related to the joke. I just wanted
to let you know, because you missed it last time. ]

I love this joke because it's *just* like the process
of seeking enlightenment. We go to some teacher, and
ask politely for enlightenment, and he says, "Can you
do X?" And we say, "No," disappointed. So we spend
years, possibly decades practicing X, knowing that
when we can finally do X, enlightenment will be ours.

And one day we find that we *can* do X. So we go back
to the spiritual teacher, ready to show off our ability
to do X and receive our "Enlightened" lapel button, and
he watches us do X and says, "That's great...so go fuck
yourself."

Enlightenment never had anything to do with being able
to do X. X was just something that the teacher told
us to do to keep us busy, or to send us away so we'd
stop bothering him.

If the kid in the joke were happening, he would have
realized his enlightenment when he heard the punchline.
If he weren't, and was just another bothersome student
longing for a teacher to tell him what to do, he
probably wouldn't.

That's the koan of the day...which do you think the
kid in the story did?

Ponder it, oh Grasshopper, and get back to me when
you think you've got the answer.  :-)