True on all counts except cows.  Cows make excellent low hassle-high reward
pets. And the reward includes milk.   Of course, you can't have a cow on a
suburban lawn, but the shepherd who taught me to meditate kept a pet cow named
Sybille, and she was one of the most intelligent and loving creatures
(including humans) I've ever met. But most cows I've seen have been driven
crazy--one look at their eyes and it's obvious.  a

curtisdeltablues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               Isn't
the checking point "Don't make an issue of the draining
 influence of animal"?  Very clever way to make an issue of it for
 teachers.

 I think the problem you are talking about is that using cows as lawn
 mowers is not efficient.  They are not pets but are livestock.  The
 only way it makes sense to go through what farmers do is to eat or
 sell them eventually.  This is like a city person's weird fantasy.
 I'll bet the guy would be ahead on energy if he used a non electric
 lawnmower and still be all Vedic up in the hizzi.

 When it comes to pets each one has a cost, time, hassle, to benefit
 ratio.  I have owned a monkey, high hassle but high reward, dogs, high
 hassle if you don't live in the country but hight reward, ferrets,
 charming little elves but stinky, birds, too much mess but high
 interactive intelligence and affection, and finally my favorite and
 the winner of the cost hassle reward ratio: cats.  The love and
 affection they provide for the tiny amount of work it takes (I even
 have a robot litter box) makes them the ultimate pet for me.

 As a life long animal lover, I always thought that MMY's animal
 aversion was more personal than yogic.  I doubt Donald Trump takes a
 lot of time with pets either.  Just not touchy-feely types.  But
 living with critters is good for your health and fills your life with
 love.  My life would be diminished without them.

 > Does anybody know of M's views on keeping pets? I've heard him say
 that  they
 > are a drain. I always thought he meant of some kind of spiritual
 energy,  but
 > I'm beginning to believe he actually meant a drain of resources and
 time,
 > being a distraction from program.< I heard a story about a yogi that
 lived in  a
 > hut in the forest doing his program and he only had two possessions,
 a couple
 >  of loin cloths. One to wear , one to wash and dry for the next day.
 A rat

 http://www.aol.com