> <snip>
> > > FWIW, a former boyfriend of mine who was a TMer
> > > would have profound witnessing experiences if he so
> > > much as drank a glass of beer. That's never
> > > happened to me!
> >
> > This (profound witnessing after having a drink
> > or two) is far from uncommon. It is *all over*
> > the literature of Tibet and India and Japan,
> > an integral part of many of the stories about
> > enlightened teachers there.
>
> Yeah, except what we're talking about is how
> alcohol affects folks who *aren't* yet enlightened.

Everyone is always already enlightened. Some
don't realize it yet, that's all.

That's not just a throwaway neoAdvaitan oneliner;
it's a very accurate way of describing the supposed
"difference" between the enlightened and those who
don't realize yet that they are enlightened.

In other words, enlightenment *may* have nothing
whatsoever to do with any physiological differences.
It may be simply a matter of recognition.

If it is, then alcohol or any other psychotropic
substance may affect the "enlightened" *exactly*
the same as it affects the so-called "unenlightened"
because there has never been a point at which anyone
was ever "unenlightened."

I'm riffing on alternative language here Jude, trying
to get you to see that your choice of language creates
a possibly artificial distinction between enlightened
and non-enlightened, and is narrowing your field of
possibilities, as opposed to expanding it.

> <snip>
> > > Very different with pot, again in my experience
> > > (many years ago).
> >
> > But there again, look into it and you will find
> > whole spiritual traditions in India that smoke
> > hashish as a sacrament, and in *huge* quantities.
> > Different strokes for different folks.
>
> Or maybe different qualities of THC...
>
> In any case, the practice of these traditions
> would seem to confirm what *I* said, that pot
> *does* affect one's meditation. (Unless these
> groups don't meditate, of course.)
>
> What we're debating here is whether psychoactive
> substances such as alcohol and pot interfere with
> one's progress toward enlightenment.

And again, you are assuming the "unenlightened"
model, which believes that "progress" *has* to be "made"
"towards" enlightenment. If you shift to another
equally accurate model and description of the process --
that everyone is always already enlightened and that the
*only* thing that marks "enlightenment" is a realization
of what has always already been going on -- then there
is no "progress" possible.

> So far,
> nothing that anyone has said constitutes actual
> evidence one way or the other.

I would extend that statement to a description of the
entirety of human history: "So far, nothing that anyone
has said about *anything* constitutes actual evidence
one way or another."   :-)