> > > then he said the words > that pierced me: "It would be BAD
KARMA for
> > > MAHARISHI for you to be > here, and it would be BAD KARMA FOR
YOU to
> > > be here." You must leave...
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > yep, I thought that was 24 karat pure bullshit too-- sounded
like "the
> > boogey-man's gonna get you". real crap.
> >

> WEll, it WAS announced days before the cremation on the Maharishi
Channel that it would
> be a strictly tradtional Vedic ceremony, fully segregated by sex. >
> When in Rome, and all that.

Well, nothing in the 'vedic scripture' proscribes this particular
distinction about funeral rites.  No separation by gender from
scripture in Shastra and the like, hence this particular funeral part
about gender Jim-crow is not 'Vedic'.  It was conceived.

Not vedic, it was just in the choreography and power-tripping of this
unique event.  Keeping the Westerners at bay in a way too.  The
Indian movement was respectful when they had to be, but evidently not
as inclusive.  Inner and outer circles.  You'll notice Nadir Ram
walked behind and was not in their boat?

It was just part of the story there.  Nobody stood up for the women
when it could have been done, except those soldiers later in the
story.  Probably as likely that nobody wanted to deal with or work
out the logistics.  So it boiled down to:  "Just tell them
its 'Vedic', and keep them out".