on 6/18/05 12:31 AM, akasha_108 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dana Sawyer travels to India almost yearly, and interviews 100s of
> swamis, teachers, shakaracharas regularly.

Sorry I haven't weighed in on this discussion. I'm now 462 posts behind. I
feel like that guy in "Master and Commander" who fell overboard and watched
helplessly as the ship sailed away. If there are some specific questions
you'd like me to forward to Dana, post them here, but also email me
directly, otherwise I might miss the post. (Although his comments on this
issue have been posted here before, if anyone can find them.) He just
returned from another extended stay in India, although I doubt that visit
shed any new light on this issue, which is far too complex for my feeble
brain. I always recollect Maharishi saying that Guru Dev didn't even want to
be Shankaracharya. Seems to me like an important qualification for the job.
I wonder about these guys who fight over it.