> --- Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Or, put another way, what makes pure  awareness become not
> > so pure?
> >
> > Rick Carlstrom

It gets "lost" or muddled in the shuffle of perception, thinking,
daily life. to use a knee-jerk but experientially valid analogy, when
mud is added to water, the water is still pure, its just muddied up.
The purity is not apparrent. If the water is filtered, it is still pure.

Pure awareness is apparently pure (as opposed to apparently not pure)
either when the mud stops flowing into the river, or the muddied water
is filtered.

I think both are experientially analogous to what occurs in
consciousness (amongst other things).

Stopping the mud flows to me refers to resolving / healing the
vasanas. When vasanas are lively, the mind is a chatter box of
thoughts and inner diolgue -- often concerning the past for future.
When these seeds in the storehouse of impressions (chitta) are
resolved, life goes on but the blaring boom box of monkey-mind chatter
is not there. The water is not churned up and muddied. Awareness is
more apparently pure, not muddled, muddy or whipped up in waves.

The filter analogy to me experientially refers to a deepening of
Awareness so that even when mud is thrown into the water, the "lake"
is deep enough so that the mud quickly sinks, dissipates. The water,
Awareness is not noticably affected by the infusion of mud. its this
quality that I see lacking in many reports of so called higher states.
And in some behaviors.

More relevant analogies come to mind -- less muddy rivers flow into
the lake (karma is purifed), ... but I will leave it with these two
for now. However, I think there are a multitude of factors that can
come into play to help keep the appearance of the water / Awareness.
(Again, I say "appearance" because the water is always pure, it just
does not appear to alwys be.) Many methods and techniques to keep mud
ot, and to filter it when it is there. Thus given the paths and
techniques one has practiced, different mechanisms may be at play in
giving rise to the common experience of Pure Awareness. And may
explain why descriptions and behaviors vary.